dita-machine-industry message

Subject: Re: [dita-machine-industry] Meeting Minutes - Kick-off 29.08.2012

Hello all,

The announcement of the meeting was just a little too late for me to call in - I was working on my motorbike this afternoon and saw the announcement and the minutes in my mailbox at the same time.

Having one meeting per month is a good idea, but having discussions between those meetings is even more important, as the meetings will have to become much more effective in the future to be able to get things done. I am not sure whether this committee will be viable if the only times we are doing stuff is when a meeting is held (or immediately before and possibly a couple of hours after). The meetings should be the place where the final voting takes place and sometimes fundamental discussions and viewpoints are exchanged, not the main venue where every comma is discussed. This is the same as most political meetings, which are largely precooked before they are taking place, like the meetings of the European heads of state who already know what the issues are and for the most part know what the others are going to vote.

The SC must become part of our daily routine, more or less. And this calls for different media than just having phone conferences - which might be useful to keep some recognition of the group being a group, but is otherwise a very old-fashioned way of getting stuff done. We could start using a forum (I tried this but having an open forum creates more hassle with spammers and braindead morons than I can bear - the forum is still available if we keep it closed and only invite people to join) or use the e-mail list. One thing I have concluded after trying to get this committee to move for about 2 years is that doing everything within the strict boundaries of OASIS is going to kill most of the momentum of this committee. We have to get industry involved and they will not become members of OASIS just so that they can exchange their ideas with us.

I will be in the September meeting but I would be more optimistic about the viability of this committee if discussions start well before that date. I am opening the discussion on one of the fundamental issues concerning the committee - the mode and method of working on it - and I would suggest we use the time until the September meeting to exchange our thoughts about this and other ideas.

Kind regards from Amsterdam

Jang

JANG Communication
Coaching - Copywriting - Consulting