dita-pharma message

Subject: More thinking about Pharmaceutical Documents and DITA: Maps versus Templates

I've come across another topic that's worth thinking about in terms of the DITA standard and extensions needed for Pharmaceutical Regulatory documents: The DITA Map specification is pretty darn slim.

The DITA Map is how topics are collected into documents, and they are listed as sequential, tabular, etc.

This is sufficient to describe the output document that has been created from topics, but I don't think it's enough to be a template for a lot of regulatory documents.

Specifically, the DITA Map concept does not seem to include concepts such as:

·         Optional components (e.g. a pediatric safety statement in a protocol)

·         Selection from a choice (taking the protocol again, a standard, versus pediatric versus geriatric template, all based on a single set of topics)

·         Repeating components (e.g. adding another objective, inclusion criteria, study event, etc.)

In my mind, a system that is capable of storing templates for creating regulatory documents, should be able to handle these concepts, and create (from templates) the needed topics as you make your choices and add to lists of items.

This doesn't seem to be part of the DITA standard.  I don't have much experience with DITA tools, so it's possible that this has already been implemented.  I need to look at more of the commercial tools and the Open Toolkit.

Joel

----

Joel Finkle

Director, Regulatory Informatics

http://www.imagesolutions.com/Portals/0/images/emailsig/isilogo.gif

Image Solutions, Inc.

100 South Jefferson Road

Whippany, NJ 07981

T: 847.989.6028

joel.finkle@imagesolutions.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.