dita-sidsc message

Subject: RE: [dita-sidsc] Freescale shadows

Interesting. I documented that core!

This brings me back to a fundamental question about our purpose. Are we trying to provide a data model to represent the intricate composition and function of semiconductor devices? Or are we simply trying to agree on a vocabulary by which to interchange the information about silicon IP that is presented to our customers? The fact that RS08 has shadow registers did not present significant documentation obstacles (or maybe it is not well documented?).

As I look at the latest version of the spreadsheet, I wonder what-in-the-world are we going to do with some of this information; how will it manifest itself in our documentation deliverables. I can see how processing might use certain information to determine how to represent other information, but I'm growing increasingly concerned that we're slipping on two slopes:

1) Devising a model that describes IP (rather than a model that *communicates* necessary IP data). I dont think we intend to cross into the purpose of SPIRIT or IEC or IEEE, do we?

2) Building a data model that we cannot support as users. Where does one get all of this information? I've been looking through our internal documentation, and if I were required to supply all of the information in our spreadsheet, I wouldnt know where to begin! Do you think your designers are going to be willing to provide such detailed information?

What do you think?

-seth

From: Duane K Becker [mailto:dkbecker@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 8:11 AM
To: dita-sidsc@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita-sidsc] Freescale shadows

Freescale has the RS08 core that has a shadow program counter.

Without having the core design in hand, or being able to dig into the core itself, I am
assuming that it is one physical register that is accessible from multiple places.

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/brochure/BRRS08CORE.pdf

Duane K. Becker     IBM Burlington, Vermont
Phone 1-802-769-1892     Tie Line 446-1892
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.