dita-sidsc message

Subject: FW: Recent DITA tool interoperability problem

JoAnn's reply to the dita-sidsc mail list bounced, so I'm forwarding this to the rest of the members.

Bob

From: JoAnn Hackos
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:44 PM
To: Beims Bob; dita-adoption-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee
Subject: RE: [dita-sidsc] Recent DITA tool interoperability problem

Hi Bob,

We run into the same problems with the XML editors all the time. Most of the vendors put proprietary code into the files that makes them difficult to use in competitive editors. We even have cases in which the vendor uses ditabase but labels the items in their “open” file as concept, task, and reference. You get the wrong topic type.

We recently tried opening the Service Manual DTD from Arbortext in XMLSpy so that we could better understand the DTD. XMLSpy would not display the DTD in its graphic form because it claimed that the DTD was not valid. I don’t know if XMLSpy’s assertion is correct but it makes it difficult.

Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of the Adoption TC. It may be closer to the “compliance” issue and certification to the DITA standard than purely adoption, but it is definitely an issue. I brought this very problem to the attention of the DITA TC at Tuesday’s meeting.

I will bring the issue to the attention of the Adoption TC for discussion. We’re trying to define our scope at this point and set up a roadmap for future work. All these issues brought to our attention really do help.

Best,

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President