dita-sidsc message

Subject: RE: [dita-sidsc] Groups - Proposed changes for multiple registers/components (usecases-dimensions.ppt) uploaded

Hello Annette.

Re: slide 2
As it stands, the generic form qualifier ("x" or "n") is inserted by processing at the place designated in <namePattern>. We could add a new element called <genericQualifier>, which would allow you to specify a generic form qualifier. This would be an optional element, which would give you the flexibility of defining a standard generic form qualifier (for most cases) and an override option for certain register names that require a specific generic form...for whatever reason.

Re: slide 8
In the discussions I've had, most seem to prefer the ability to specify a non-zero value for the first integer in <instanceOffsets>. I cant think of a usecase for this, but it seems like a good idea to preserve flexibility. Now that I think of it, processing could support both models by counting the number of integers in <instanceOffsets> and comparing that value to the value of <instancesNumber>. Then:
We just need to make sure that the processing intentions are clearly defined in the spec.

Re: slide 9
The register summary is just a slightly different presentation of the individual register tables. Some Freescale product lines use a register summary; others use a "memory map", which provides only the address, name, and access of each register in a table. This is probably similar to your register summaries. The processing for these two objects are very similar.

seth park
information architect
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
seth.park@freescale.com
512.895.2463

From: Annette Bauerle [mailto:abauerle@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:15 AM
To: Park Seth-R01164
Cc: dita-sidsc@lists.oasis-open.org

Better late than never, right?

Thanks for figuring out how to handle multiple instances of registers and components.  I just have a few minor comments or questions. .

On slide 2, you say, "When discussed generally (as in the register section heading), the name must be “TPMnSC." On slide 3, the register heading is "TPM Status and Control Register (TPMxSC)." Use "n" or "x"?

Slilde 8: If we require users to supply a zero for the first value of <instanceOffset>, that gives them the flexibility to provide a different value. I prefer that option.

Slide 9: You list your bits in the register summary?   We don't. I assume that format is produced by post processing, not by the specialization, right?

Regards,

Annette

Annette Bauerle, PMP®
Team Lead, PowerPC Information Development
Systems & Technology Group
Home office: 802-644-2019
Office: 802-769-4223 • (T/L 446-4223) • Fax: 8-446-7147

seth.park@freescale.com

05/29/2009 05:06 PM

dita-sidsc@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[dita-sidsc] Groups - Proposed changes for multiple registers/components   (usecases-dimensions.ppt) uploaded

Please review before the next call.

Thanks
-seth

-- Mr. Seth Park

The document named Proposed changes for multiple registers/components
(usecases-dimensions.ppt) has been submitted by Mr. Seth Park to the DITA
Semiconductor Information Design SC document repository.

Document Description:
Please review this document for the next call.

While testing the specialization, Freescale noticed weaknesses that make it
virtually impossible to reliably indicate how to handle multiple instances
of registers and/or components.

This proposal addresses the issue.

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=32714

Download Document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/32714/usecases-dimensions.ppt

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email application
may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and paste

-OASIS Open Administration