dita-sidsc message

Subject: RE: [dita-sidsc] Follow-up: handling multiple instances/instanceBase

Dear Team,

Attendance Note:
Unfortunately I have a running conflict with the SIDSC meetings now.  And just when I was starting to have time to get passionate again....
Here's more feedback.  Sorry I won't be there to explain if i'm not making myself clear.

Feedback On slide 6 "Publishing ramifications.":

More Feedback on where instances belong:
  • I'm probably missing something but let me try to elaborate on my perspective:  I think instance structures belong outside the scope of the generic component structure.  Embedding instance structures within the generic component implies the instance is subordinate (but it's super-ordinate if that's a word).
  • Also, there is a business need to document the generic component in its standalone fully parameterizable glory for internal audiences at least if not external.  So, could the proposed instance structures be ignored or otherwise handled in this case?
Thanks.
-Alan

From: Ratliff Alan-R68672
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 5:28 PM
To: Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee

Thanks for the great work, Seth.
Your proposal makes sense, but looking at slides 7 &8, regarding the "instanceOffset" variable...

To me it makes more sense to talk about an "instanceBase" instead of an "instanceOffset" variable.   At least I don't think about component instances being placed in the system memory map relative to each other.   This approach would also resolve your questions at the bottom of slide 8.  Of course it might break other things, but this is my perspective.

In general, I see needing to use an instance container (even if we have just one instance of the component) to inform processing and to populate variables inside the generic component model.

Thanks again.
-Alan