dita-sidsc message

Subject: Attendees and summary of 14/09 session

Hello,

The following people joined the call (please shout if I forgot to include you):

·         Colin Maudry (NXP)

·         Nancy Harrisson

·         Howard Kalish (AMD)

·         Derek Saldana (Freescale)

·         Mike Austin (Freescale)

·         Michael Limmani (IBM)

Jim, from AMD I think, also joined us, but I couldn’t find him in the roster. Howard, can you send his full name to Bob so that he completes the attendee list?

We left Live meeting and switched to the phone, so I couldn’t record what was said  during the call, and we also lost 20 minutes. Here is, briefly, what was said:

Introduction:

Colin apologized for the confusion, as most of the attendees had joined the call on Freescale confcall system while he expected they would listen to him on Live meeting. Colin told briefly the genesis of this call: Bob Beims not available to chair, Colin had suggested in the first place to dedicate this confcall to reuse strategies. He said that JoAnn Hackos offered to introduce discussions on reuse, but she couldn’t join this session.

DITA 1.3 proposals

Nancy was curious to know the status of the two proposals (13038 and 13039) coming from the SIDSC. Colin told her that he would introduce these proposals during the next DITA TC based on the discussions he had with Marcos Campos, who co-owns these proposals. Colin committed to share the link to the work document with Nancy. Colin described the two proposals in details, stressing the fact that real-life use cases were needed for 13038.

SIDSC starter kit

Colin briefly summarized his discussions with Marcos Campos regarding the SIDSC starter kit: with the help of the other members (Colin proposed his help), Freescale would release a DITA OT plugin that would serve as a base transformation for SIDSC register content. A quick configuration XSL file could also be available to enable easy configuration of output colors, fonts, margins, etc.

Derek [in charge of developing the SIDSC-DITA transformations at Freescale] approved. It was agreed that the organization would be further defined by Derek and Marcos, when he is back from vacation.

Nancy said that they implemented the SIDSC domain at Analog Devices, but not the structure.

AMD status update

Colin asked Howard how were things going at AMD since the last time Howard joined the call, before the summer. Howard listed AMD’s main challenges (please correct me if I got it wrong):

·         Migrating content from unstructured Framemaker

·         How to distribute the roles for the reuse. Ideally, Howard would like authors not to worry about reuse and would rather entrust an Information architect

·         Set up the system for all the users

·         Lack of resources to customize the DITA OT output

He also said some DITA content was in production but only for internal use.

Colin and Nancy asked Howard if AMD planned to use SIDSC for their registers documentation. Howard said he was not alone to take this decision. Colin asked Derek if SIDSC was in a good way of adoption by vendors and distributors. Derek replied that it was more Bob Beims’s business.

Colin said that reuse at NXP was currently based on multi-channel publishing (single sourcing) and by linking the content to one or several nodes in NXP product tree. He said that, as Howard said, the training of the authors was a tough challenge. Colin said that NXP had currently mainly migrated marketing content (called “value propositions”) and that migrating and managing technical content would be another story.

End of the call.

My apologies if I forgot something, I wrote this summary from memory. Also, more apologies for the confusion at the beginning of the call, I didn’t understand that we had stuck to the phone conference.

Best regards,

Colin Maudry

Product Data Analyst and DITA Implementer

cid:image001.gif@01C91339.12F576B0

NXP Semiconductors    www.nxp.com

High Tech Campus 60, room 4.406, 5656 AG  Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Tel: +31 40 27 25833 Mobile: +31 646 53 94 33     colin.maudry@nxp.com