dita-sidsc message

Subject: Minutes of the 6/20/2012 OASIS SIDSC Meeting

The entire session was spent planning and editing the Phase 2 proposal for including the SIDSC specialization in the DITA 1.3 specification.

As Nancy  Harrison confirms, we have cleared Phase 1 of the process. We submitted a brief proposal, and the response from the TC was, “OK, give us details.” Out next step is to get on the page for Phase 2 proposals. Then, there will be discussion(s) with the TC, and hopefully we’ll move on to Phase 3.

Nancy observes that we are unusual in that we already have an implementation.

In the proposal under consideration, we need to provide the date of the Phase 1 discussion. Nancy will provide that to Bob or make the change directly to the source file. We also need to add the date of the Phase 1 vote. Keep in mind that the vote must occur one week after the discussion.

Nancy says we should keep the Phase 2 proposal to one page, if possible. She will send us an example proposal that has already been accepted. It won’t be for the Learning specialization, which is analogous to ours in scope of work, because they did their work before a proposal such as the one we’re working on was required.

We looked at the Purpose section of the proposal.  The main purpose is to address the needs of the semiconductor industry using DITA.

Cheri Mullins recommends that we get rid of the bullet format in the costs session in favor of a brief paragraph. We need to state the cost to the DITA TC and SIDSC of including the SIDSC specialization and further editing the SIDSC specification. We also need to state the cost to DITA users of having DITA become more complex. Also, state the cost of integrating the current DTDs with DITA 1.3 and providing XSDs.

The cost to vendors will be the expected cost of integrating a substantial specialization.

One major goal of DITA 1.3 is to allow DITA to be more modular and bundling it so that people can use only the part(s) they want.

Derek recommends that we define levels of SIDSC conformance in terms of processing for vendors to implement SIDSC functionality.

Paul Arellanes: The SIDSC specialization is the most technical one he has encountered, and he has worked on the DITA TC and on several major specializations. We need to document how to implement it and how to use it.  We’re adding a lot of highly technical structures that are driven by the semiconductor technology, and users may have trouble understanding how to implement the structures.

Next meeting: Cheri Mullins will give us a report on her editorial review of the SIDSC specification. Meanwhile, everyone should review the DITA 1.3 proposed feature #13109. The source and rendered PDF reside at:

https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/dita/subcommittees/SIDSC/DITA_1.3_proposal_13109/#_subcommittees_SIDSC_DITA_1.3_proposal_13109

It is ok to edit the file directly (make sure to commit your changes), but be sure to send an email notification to the team if you do so. Characterize the changes you’ve made.

Our next meeting will be July 11 because our normal meeting time occupies July 4.