dita-sidsc message

Subject: Why we do not use RosettaNet for parametric data

Hi All,

During the call yesterday Sheila asked why NXP did not use RosettaNet for the parametric data.

I asked our standardization team and here is the answer:

---------------------------

When RosettaNet introduced its parametric messages, there were explicit meaning that a fixed list of predefined properties were part of the message structure. A technical dictionary was developed which was more or less a flat list. As I recall correctly, this was used for developing non-explicit messages based on this technical dictionary. Later a more sophisticated dictionary model has been defined derived from the ISO/IEC model but this was never implemented.

The activity on parametric messages in RosettaNet shifted to material declaration basically funded by Sony Japan with the result that these messages were incorporating the Japanese requirements and to my knowledge only used in Japan enforced by Sony to its suppliers. Furthermore RosettaNet does not have a message to communicate dictionary content

Except for their publication of the “flat list” dictionary. Agreements between two parties which content (properties) are shared, is laid down in a predefined contract.

At least in EMEA nobody to my knowledge is using the RosettaNet parametric messages.

When we set up the parametric communication to distis several alternatives were presented including RosettaNet but since there are no business scenarios e.g. “request for engineering specification”, behind the communication but making available our specifications of our portfolio, it was chosen to use OntoML as the basis. I was not involved in the final choices but I can imagine it was based on pragmatic reasons.

---------------------------

To further expand on this we currently have a few hundred classes of different types of electronic components each with a distinct set of parametric properties that can be used to describe members of that class (we just passed the 1000 property mark).

The class structure inherits the properties from the super-class, so you can specialize which properties are used to describe a more specific type of thing.

The model we use does not require all properties of a class to be valuated in order to have a valid specification of a thing.

A value can be simple (color = red) or complex (width = 1 mm min; 2 mm typ; 3 mm max).

Additionally properties can have multiple values under different operating conditions.

The explicit and flat nature of the RosettaNet messages is unsuited to communicating this type of data.

Regards,

John Walker

Business Analyst, Marketing and Communications

NXP Semiconductors

High Tech Campus (HTC)60 - 4.38c, 5656 AG Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Tel: +31 40 27 29187, Mobile: +31 613973664, Fax: +31 40 27 29961

E-mail: john.walker@nxp.com, www.NXP.com

Skype: jaw111, Mobile: jaw111-mob

You can also find us on:
http://nww.nxp.com/gsm/communication/images/twiter.png  http://nww.nxp.com/gsm/communication/images/youtube.png  http://nww.nxp.com/gsm/communication/images/facebook.png  http://nww.nxp.com/gsm/communication/images/googleplus.png  http://nww.nxp.com/gsm/communication/images/linkedin.png  http://nww.nxp.com/gsm/communication/images/image006.png

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.