dita-sidsc message

Subject: Re: IP-XACT to DITA?

Dave, Severin;

I'm trying to get caught up on this thread as I sit in a coffee shop waiting for the start of a 3-day training session on agile program management, followed by 2 weeks of holiday. So this won't be a very complete answer to your questions, but I didn't want to let your message go unanswered for too long.

I've cc'd the SIDSC maillist so that others in the subcommittee can chime in with thoughts (sorry that you won't be able to respond directly to that maillist until Altera's OASIS membership is active).

The data flow you've described below is definitely one of the most critical issues that we're attempting to address with the SIDSC specializations. You'll be pleased to know that the SIDSC register description model has close to a 1-to-1 correlation with the IP-XACT component description model. In fact, when the SC began the work of defining a set of DITA specializations to capture all of the data required to document SoC register sets, we began by looking at the IP-XACT 1.4 structure as a starting point. Due to the more robust requirements of technical documentation versus EDA tools, the SIDSC register specializations are actually a superset of IP-XACT 1.4. Thus, it is very simple to produce IP-XACT from SIDSC. The opposite flow isn't quite a simple, as a straight ipxact2sidsc transform leaves a lot of "holes" in the SIDSC that must be filled in via some adjunct flow (such as a person manually entering the missing pieces).

If Altera has built strong IP-XACT workflows for your SoC design teams, leveraging that data into a DITA-based publishing system can be very effective. What we've found at Freescale is that treating the SIDSC content as the "gold  master" is more effective, as that superset data can be transformed into IP-XACT as needed, but also into many, many other formats (including human-readable documentation).

Enough for now ... I'll look forward to working together to solve our industry's problems!

Regards,
Bob

Sent from my iPad