Subject: FW: DITA Technical Communications Subcommittee Meeting

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:REQUEST
PRODID:Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:Mountain Standard Time
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:16010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0600
TZOFFSETTO:-0700
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=11
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:16010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0700
TZOFFSETTO:-0600
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=2SU;BYMONTH=3
END:DAYLIGHT
END:VTIMEZONE
BEGIN:VEVENT
ORGANIZER;CN=workgroup_mailer@lists.oasis-open.org;SENT-BY="MAILTO:scott.hud
 son@jeppesen.com":MAILTO:workgroup_mailer@lists.oasis-open.org
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=dita-techc
 omm@lists.oasis-open.org:MAILTO:dita-techcomm@lists.oasis-open.org
ATTACH:CID:9DF9BA1BE824B044856EB55CAF9E5D6A@Jeppesen.com
ATTACH:CID:89343BF1E3A91E4BBF13A05EE2BD26C4@Jeppesen.com
DESCRIPTION;LANGUAGE=en-US:\n\n\n\n________________________________________
 \nFrom: workgroup_mailer@lists.oasis-open.org\nSent: Sunday\, January 8\,
 2017 11:20:01 PM UTC\nTo: workgroup_mailer@lists.oasis-open.org\; Scott Hu
 dson\; dita-techcomm@lists.oasis-open.org\nSubject: FW: DITA Technical Com
 munications Subcommittee Meeting\n\nSubmitter's message\nI have attached t
 he minutes from the April 3 meeting to our May 1st meeting's calendar entr
 y. Thank you\, Jane.\n-- Mr. Robert Thomas\nEvent Title: DITA Technical Co
 mmunications Subcommittee Meeting<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url
 ?u=https-3A__www.oasis-2Dopen.org_apps_org_workgroup_dita-2Dtechcomm_event
 .php-3Fevent-5Fid-3D44322&d=DwMGAg&c=P3aKjizb3qsxp0SERaL2sw&r=YQWdLfM9mekB
 OdoMmoBdn9RgyqIHrveGolBbb4_uGWQ&m=ZTGDD60vTW9Z8gW_QcO2nfwHZmp-7FtP8zGRu0Ys
 CbQ&s=JEGxmYwV6n0-aAAzaxHQhNOfQ5vDni0Drg8sRrtTtag&e=>\n\n  _______________
 _________________\nDate: Monday\, 01 May 2017\, 09:00am to 10:00am MDT\nLo
 cation: WebEx - Inquire to the list for connection information\nDescriptio
 n\n\nRegular business meeting\n\nThis meeting counts towards voter eligibi
 lity.\n\n  ________________________________\nAgenda\n\nThe following topic
 s are up for discussion:\n\n  1.  Approve minutes from the December 12\, 2
 016 meeting\n  2.  Elect a Secretary\n  3.  Discuss feedback on troublesho
 oting from Ericsson. Scott Hudson was the last one to reply to the email t
 hread<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.oasis-2Dope
 n.org_apps_org_workgroup_dita-2Dtechcomm_email_archives_201612_msg00011.ht
 ml&d=DwMGAg&c=P3aKjizb3qsxp0SERaL2sw&r=YQWdLfM9mekBOdoMmoBdn9RgyqIHrveGolB
 bb4_uGWQ&m=ZTGDD60vTW9Z8gW_QcO2nfwHZmp-7FtP8zGRu0YsCbQ&s=bAPCP2T2GFJdp4vzZ
 JxZDKgc9-JgiPVIMenALyvr2rg&e=>\n  4.  Continue the discussion about conten
 t models optimized for authoring\n\nMinutes\n\n\nOASIS DITA Technical Subc
 ommittee meeting minutes\nMonday\, April 3\, 2017\nRecorded by Jane Credla
 nd\n\n—————————\n\nAttendees\n\nBob Thomas\nDon Day\nSco
 tt Hudson\nJane Credland\n\nSkipping next meeting - reconvening on May 1st
 .\n\n—————————\n\n1. Approve Minutes\nmoved by Bob\, sec
 onded by Scott - motion passed\n\n—————————\n\n2. Action
  Items\n\nBob - Troubleshooting diagnostic feature proposal - no work on t
 his so far. No commitment to delivering it in the next month or so.\n\n—
 ————————\n\nScott - Programming inline element expansion.
 RNC file is available to review element names. Talking about providing mul
 tiple modules that people can subscribe to\; they may not want all the inl
 ines but only hardware and web services\, for example. He’s in the proce
 ss of creating different ones for hardware\, web services\, software and p
 rogramming\, and basically looking at two new domains.\n\nThe first domain
  sent this morning is the hardware domain. No formal document\, just the c
 ompact syntax to give\n\n1) System item - comes directly from DocBook stan
 dards. May be too abstract. It does tie a number of choices that are calle
 d out in the type attribute\, which Robert isn’t a huge fan of. One way
 to cover a lot of ground by having a more abstract element.\n\nBasically\,
  it can contain any word. Then you classify what kind of system item throu
 gh the Type attribute plus the enumeration.\n\n2) key combo - a grouping o
 f one or more keys and one or more uicontrols. For example\, Ctrl+Alt+Dele
 te or any other kind of key combo. modified from DocBook. Separate element
  called key that is a phrase level wrapper to document the name of the key
 . Key combo\, if you need to document forcing a browser refresh\, for exam
 ple. DocBook also had an attribute for specifying whether you’re clickin
 g\, double-clicking\, right-clicking\, etc.\n\nBob - one potential issue i
 s getting uicontrol from another domain.\n\nJane - potential confusion wit
 h key ref and key.\n\nBob - may need to prefix with kb for keyboard.\n\nSc
 ott - named the domain\, hw-d. So\, it would be hw-key\, for example.\n\nD
 on - how would this apply to touch or dictation\, such as iPad or Google G
 lass\, where you’re interacting by voice command.\n\nBob - that might ma
 ke more sense as an extension of the UI domain.\n\nDon - need more separat
 ion of interface from actions. The existing element of system output descr
 ibes an exact sequence of operations but doesn’t define the interface ty
 pe. Whereas menu cascade defines the interface (breadcrumbs). As a writer\
 , determining what am I documenting\, wondering what is the right mark-up
 to use. Not clear from this markup. One of the usability issues that write
 rs have.\n\nTaking a model approach - here’s what needs to happen from t
 he system\; view is what you see\, syntax which is the concrete things you
  need to provide (speak\, type\, touch) in order to initiate that interact
 ion.\n\nScott - kind of like user input\, but more like input method.\n\nD
 on - I often use user input when I’m trying to describe dialog. From a u
 ser experience POV\, we sometimes miss that the interactions are a dialog.
 \n\nScott - where do we think that would live? Would that be in the UI dom
 ain or in a separate interaction domain.\n\nBob - I think that would warra
 nt its own.\n\nDon - to what extent do we need to provide all three of the
 se in a single domain. Is there ever a time when you describe what you see
  on the screen without describing what you need to type when you\n\nScott
 - instead of calling it hardware domain\, perhaps an interface\n\nJane - n
 eed to avoid confusion\; initial thought with hardware domain was that it
 related to documenting hardware.\n\nDon - not comfortable with advancing a
 nything yet. But doesn’t have a proposal\, only questions. Just trying t
 o delineate whether this is our problem or someone else’s problem. I don
 ’t want to boil the ocean but we don’t want to add confusion if a writ
 er doesn’t find the offered markup not intuitive for the use.\n\nScott -
  just wanted to throw something up to see what sticks. This has been a goo
 d way to look at some aspect\; I agree that even the phrase hardware domai
 n… still user interface because it’s still user interaction.\n\nDon -
 we could use the terminology that’s used for responsive web design where
  you have inputs and sensors. That’s part of the terminology. May or may
  not apply strictly here. The things you interact with are not necessarily
  hardware\, they’re part of the interface. So keycap is a system interfa
 ce\, just like the touch screen and a microphone.\n\nBob - what do you thi
 nk about letting the DocBook team know about what we’re doing?\n\nScott
 - I can be out DocBook liaison\, will bring it up at the next meeting.\n\n
 Bob - I’d like to do that just so there isn’t any animosity. More like
  a courtesy more than anything.\n\n—————————\n\n3) Web S
 ervices Domain\n\nScott - shared rough draft on screen. Will cover Web Ser
 vices\, SOAP and REST.\n\nElements (alpha order)\n\nbinding\ndatatype\nend
 point\nmessage\nmethod\nportType\nport\nrequest\nresponse\nschema\nsecurit
 y (authentication type)\nservice\n\nDon - what about RPC based services.\n
 \nScott - intended to be a generic container for how you would do that req
 uest. Would protocol be a better name?\n\nBob - may want to do this in the
  object-oriented stuff. We would want method there too.\n\nDon - question
 was around thinking about “verb” for REST. Maybe what’s missing is t
 hat it would support services that are activated by parameters rather than
  URL\; trying to think of the proper name for the stuff that followings th
 e question mark at the end of a URL.\n\nScott - we already have parmname a
 nd parameter.\n\nDon - do we want to enable naming segments for their mean
 ing? An example being when you have the url to go from the endpoint one of
  the intermediate segments\, that segment has a specific meaning to the co
 llection activity that the web service does at that point.\n\nScott - you
 ’re basically talking about the name/value pair.\n\nDon - probably has a
  specific web service. In a RESTful design\, that segment very likely has
 a defined behavior. It’s an endpoint that creates a collection rather th
 an a discrete object.\n\nScott - would that be covered under endpoint in t
 hat instance\n\nDon - we may want to go back to the terminology around RES
 Tful URL design\, because the way that I’ve been treating them is that a
 nything short of the single thing that’s name is not an end point but a
 collection leading to the endpoint (of which the endpoint is a member).\n\
 nDon - does it hurt the design to add segment as one of the options?\n\nSc
 ott - I don’t think so. We don’t already have an element for that.\n\n
 Don - in the example\, if you were documenting everything not including th
 ere\, what defines the part of the URL not including the endpoint.\n\nScot
 t - the endpoint could be the entire string was well. It depends on what y
 ou’re defining as your end point.\n\nDon - so the endpoint could be eith
 er a collection or a report?\n\nScott - I’d almost think that pair is a
 segment\n\nDon - it’s not a URL segment though. Anything in the paramete
 r entity is basically like a processing instruction in XML. It’s how you
  pass extra information to the processor\, but the identity should be clea
 nly defined in just the URL itself.\n\nScott - reviewed the URI scheme - U
 RI\n\nDon - used to specify concrete syntax. The definition of the segment
  values. Path is the thing that we want to pick apart. They’re using sch
 eme as the mailto part\, so we won’t use that.\n\nScott - sequence of se
 gments\, so I think segment is familiar\n\nDon - in API documentation do w
 e tend to treat segments as discretely defined parts of the API? I don’t
  recall if you had path in your design.\n\nScott - I didn’t. I think I a
 gree the segment has some\, but path\n\nDon - path would be one or more se
 gments\n\nScott - I don’t want to overload any of the terms. If you were
  to try to document path would you be able to do this from this list of el
 ements or would you need something separate.\n\nDon - at this point\, I do
 n’t know. If you don’t mind\, would you bring up the documentation for
  the NING API. People tend to recommend different APIs as being good for d
 ifferent examples. This is one that I see as a nice clean example. Tend to
  define each segment in a multi-segment request and that may help determin
 e whether segment should be a repeating member in a path\, and therefore a
  new segment.\n\nScott - will continue discussion on list.\n\n\nAI: Scott
 to let the DocBook committee know that we’re looking at reusing their en
 umerations and descriptions.\n\nAI: Don to write something up about sessio
 ns\, dialogs\, interactions\, and just try to provide some framework for h
 aving a discussion about where we draw the circles around these.\n\n——
 ———————\n\n3. Separation of technical content from the core
 DITA specification\n\nBob - Robert had some feedback on the updated featur
 e proposal from the TC. Does anyone have any objection to me incorporating
  his comments or have any additional comments? Probably not going to be re
 ady to take it to them until next week.\n\nScott - I agree with his commen
 ts.\n\n—————————\n\n4. Bookmap and publication map discu
 ssion.\n\nBob - nothing new to add to that. Would also like to see what ha
 ppens on the TC with this.\n\n—————————\n\n5. Glossary\n
 \nBob/Scott - nothing further to say\n\n—————————\n\n6.
 Additional Items\n\nBob - slated to talk about the TechComm SC on DITA Nor
 th America. Will talk about what we’re working on get feedback from peop
 le at the session. My feeling on it is that it will be sort of like a list
 ening session\, only I’ll be doing a lot more talking.\n\nScott - I thin
 k that soliciting feedback on items that people would like to see\n\nBob -
  would like to talk in some depth about the initiatives we’ve got going
 on (programming\, troubleshooting\, potential enhancements to bookmap)\, a
 nd then may talk a little bit about TC direction for distancing the spec a
  little bit from being so content model heavy. I also want to talk a littl
 e bit about the fact that we’re still very interesting to see what we ca
 n do about providing a better authoring environment\, even though we don
 ’t have any concrete plans. There are dependencies on us before we can g
 et into any discussion about what will happen with the technical issues (d
 omains\, etc) about how we can go ahead and address things about simplifyi
 ng configuration and constraints.\n\nScott - sounds good to me.\n\nScott -
  if I’m available\, I’ll try and attend\n\n  _________________________
 _______\nOwner: Mr. Robert Thomas\nGroup: DITA Technical Communication SC\
 nSharing: This event is shared with the OASIS Open (General Membership)\,
 General Public\, and OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) T
 C groups. Public Event Link<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=htt
 ps-3A__www.oasis-2Dopen.org_committees_event.php-3Fevent-5Fid-3D44322&d=Dw
 MGAg&c=P3aKjizb3qsxp0SERaL2sw&r=YQWdLfM9mekBOdoMmoBdn9RgyqIHrveGolBbb4_uGW
 Q&m=ZTGDD60vTW9Z8gW_QcO2nfwHZmp-7FtP8zGRu0YsCbQ&s=kKqvjKikX1vLr9KDwZeRVl7s
 WDmae55M4mPdgXa8Sj4&e=>\nRecurrence\nThis event is part of a series with 1
 8 more events. The next 4 events in this series:\nMonday\, 15 May 2017\, 0
 9:00am to 10:00am MDT\nMonday\, 29 May 2017\, 09:00am to 10:00am MDT\nMond
 ay\, 12 June 2017\, 09:00am to 10:00am MDT\nMonday\, 26 June 2017\, 09:00a
 m to 10:00am MDT\n\n\n   *   Learn more about subscribing here<https://url
 defense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__helpdesk.kavi.com_entries_217240
 63-2DTip-2DSubscribing-2Dto-2DGroup-2Dcalendar-2Dfeeds&d=DwMGAg&c=P3aKjizb
 3qsxp0SERaL2sw&r=YQWdLfM9mekBOdoMmoBdn9RgyqIHrveGolBbb4_uGWQ&m=ZTGDD60vTW9
 Z8gW_QcO2nfwHZmp-7FtP8zGRu0YsCbQ&s=vzu4P-a2SpjaJixHUD2j_EW4wDGnPJE-_Lw6C6E
 9cso&e=>.\n   *   View the DITA Technical Communication SC calendar here<h
 ttps://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.oasis-2Dopen.org_a
 pps_org_workgroup_dita-2Dtechcomm_calendar.php&d=DwMGAg&c=P3aKjizb3qsxp0SE
 RaL2sw&r=YQWdLfM9mekBOdoMmoBdn9RgyqIHrveGolBbb4_uGWQ&m=ZTGDD60vTW9Z8gW_QcO
 2nfwHZmp-7FtP8zGRu0YsCbQ&s=GhaJc_zxXwJY-CmB7c1KmD9UDEAilCXs9TtAuHv2e6U&e=>
 .\n   *   You may receive future notifications with updates to this event.
  Update the event on your calendar by accepting the changes.\n\nRegular bu
 siness meeting Agenda: The following topics are up for discussion: Approve
  minutes from the December 12\, 2016 meeting Elect a Secretary Discuss fee
 dback on troubleshooting from Ericsson. Scott Hudson was the last one to r
 eply to https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-techcomm/email/
 archives/201612/msg00011.html Continue the discussion about content models
  optimized for authoring Group: DITA Technical Communication SC Creator: M
 r. Robert Thomas ---------------------------------------------------------
  TC that generates this mail. Follow this link to all your TCs in OASIS at
 : https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.oasis-2Dopen.or
 g_apps_org_workgroup_portal_my-5Fworkgroups.php&d=DwIBAg&c=P3aKjizb3qsxp0S
 ERaL2sw&r=YQWdLfM9mekBOdoMmoBdn9RgyqIHrveGolBbb4_uGWQ&m=ZTGDD60vTW9Z8gW_Qc
 O2nfwHZmp-7FtP8zGRu0YsCbQ&s=E5Az1OkT3BP1XxIM6vR-FxPs8-wGGijzbOo3x11qdik&e=
 \n
UID:https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-techcomm/event.php?e
 vent_id=44315
RECURRENCE-ID;TZID=Mountain Standard Time:20170529T090000
SUMMARY;LANGUAGE=en-US:FW: DITA Technical Communications Subcommittee Meeti
 ng
DTSTART;TZID=Mountain Standard Time:20170529T090000
DTEND;TZID=Mountain Standard Time:20170529T100000
CLASS:PUBLIC
PRIORITY:5
DTSTAMP:20170427T012309Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
STATUS:CONFIRMED
SEQUENCE:5
LOCATION;LANGUAGE=en-US:WebEx - Inquire to the list for connection informat
 ion
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-APPT-SEQUENCE:5
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-OWNERAPPTID:0
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:TENTATIVE