dita-techstds message

Subject: RE: DITA for Tech Standards activity

Hi Robert,

I'm pleased to see this taking off. I would like to participate. In my
mind, this SC needs to do the following:

1. Get a formal content and style definition from OASIS (We had issues
with this while working on the DITA 1.2 spec, since they have things
scattered over several documents plus a lot of it is simply
underspecified or unspecified...)

2. Create a map specialization to capture the structure of the OASIS
spec plus the metadata that's required.

3. Possibly create topic specializations if we need this (we may even
choose to have a specialized topic to represent the cover page).

4. Develop a DITA-OT plug-in for each OASIS output required (I think all
we need is PDF and XHTML or HTML5)

5. Write documentation/tutorials and package it all up.

Follow-on projects of this SC would be to do the same for other OASIS
artifacts, such as white papers (we have a plug-in that's close at the
DITA Adoption TC, but we have not documented it yet and I suspect
there's room for improvement and tweaking).

I have joined the SC.

Thanks for driving this!
Gershon