dita-translation message

Subject: RE: [dita-translation] Changes to documentation of xml:lang and translate attributes

Thank you all for your input. I'm replying to all comments in a single email
to make it easier to follow this thread and where we're going...

Here are new proposals for the two attributes based on all the feedback I've
received to-date, as well as our discussions during Monday's SC meeting.

My previous proposal kept the original descriptions in the current spec as
much as possible, and I'm glad I received the reactions I did (e.g. English
being the default language -- I felt uneasy about that one too). I took the
default values from the spec, which I now see confused everyone; I've
changed them to reflect their usage.

PROPOSAL FOR translate ATTRIBUTE:

Name: translate

translated or not. The translate attribute setting applies to the element on
which it is set, and is inherited by all child elements that do not specify
the translate attribute. The translate attribute does not indicate whether
attribute values of the element and its children should be translated;
attribute values should never be translated. If this attribute is not
specified on the document element, then processors must assume
translate="yes".

Data Type: yes | no

Default Value: Not set

Required: #IMPLIED

PROPOSAL FOR xml:lang ATTRIBUTE:

Name: xml:lang

intent declared with xml:lang is considered to apply to all attributes and
content of the element where it is specified, unless overridden with an
instance of xml:lang on another element within that content. When no
xml:lang value is supplied, the processor should assume a default value.
This attribute must be set to a language identifier, as defined by IETF RFC
3066 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt) or successor.

Data Type: NMTOKEN

Required: #IMPLIED

Best Regards,