dita-translation message

Subject: RE: [dita-translation] Changes to documentation of xml:lang and translateattributes

Hi Gershon/others,

I agree we should keep it as a reference. We would have a hard time keeping
the list correct, as new values are added or modified - a DITA application
would have to wait for a new update to DITA before it could support a new
language. Also, I'd agree that a list of 100+ values would not be any
better for the user than a blank field.

In my experience, authors and translators never need to know more than one
or two values. The author can set the source language, or rely on the
editor or processing application to provide a default. Translators only
need to know the value for the language they are translating to.
Translation applications could aid in that as well.

I would expect that each application should choose which locales to
support. The DITA toolkit supports 47 language-region combinations; others
could choose to support only 10, or they could support over 100. It would
be up to that application to warn about any unsupported values. The toolkit
does that today if you try to generate text with an invalid value (if no
generated text is needed, then theoretically every language available in
Unicode will work).

Robert D Anderson
Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787

             "Gershon L
             Joseph"
             <gershon@tech-tav                                          To
             .com>                     "'Farwell, Kevin'"
                                       <Kevin.Farwell@lionbridge.com>,
             03/08/2006 02:14          "'Felix Sasaki'" <fsasaki@w3.org>,
             PM                        Robert D
                                       Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
                                                                        cc
             Please respond to         <bhertz@sdl.com>, "'Bryan
                  gershon              Schnabel'"
                                       <bryan.s.schnabel@tek.com>, Charles
                                       Pau/Cambridge/IBM@Lotus, "'Lieske,
                                       Christian'"
                                       <christian.lieske@sap.com>, Dave A
                                       Schell/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       <dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.
                                       org>, <dpooley@sdl.com>, "'Richard
                                       Ishida'" <ishida@w3.org>,
                                       "'Jennifer Linton'"
                                       <jennifer.linton@comtech-serv.com>,
                                       <mambrose@sdl.com>,
                                       <patrickk@scriptware.nl>,
                                       <pcarey@lexmark.com>, "'Reynolds,
                                       Peter'"
                                       <Peter.Reynolds@lionbridge.com>,
                                       <rfletcher@sdl.com>, "'Munshi,
                                       Sukumar'"
                                       <Sukumar.Munshi@lionbridge.com>,
                                       <tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.
                                       com>, "'Yves Savourel'"
                                       <ysavourel@translate.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita-translation] Changes to
                                       documentation of xml:lang and
                                       translate attributes

If we hard-code it in the DTD, we'll have a hard time keeping the set of
allowable values up-to-date. Also, I've yet to find an accurate fully
up-to-date list of values on the Web that's not draft or incomplete. I
think
it should be up to the implementation to ensure the value entered is valid,
or to offer the user a list of options customized to the user's needs. I
suspect offering a list of about 100 values will confuse the user almost as
much as leaving them to research it themselves.

I don't mind adding a link in the spec documentation to an accurate list
that's always going to be kept updated. I have not found such a list (I'm
sure it exists, but I could find anything valuable via Google).

What do others think?

Best Regards,
Gershon