dita-translation message

Subject: RE: Translating required-cleanup

I'm replying to this so that it goes to the dita-translation list.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787

             "Yves Savourel"
             <yves@opentag.com
                                       Robert D
             04/24/2006 12:04          Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS,
             AM                        <dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.
                                       org>, <mambrose@sdl.com>,
                                       <pcarey@lexmark.com>,
                                       <rfletcher@sdl.com>,
                                       <bhertz@sdl.com>, "'Richard
                                       Ishida'" <ishida@w3.org>,
                                       <tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.
                                       com>, "'Lieske, Christian'"
                                       <christian.lieske@sap.com>,
                                       "'Jennifer Linton'"
                                       <jennifer.linton@comtech-serv.com>,
                                       "'Munshi, Sukumar'"
                                       <Sukumar.Munshi@lionbridge.com>,
                                       Charles Pau/Cambridge/IBM@Lotus,
                                       <dpooley@sdl.com>, "'Reynolds,
                                       Peter'"
                                       <Peter.Reynolds@lionbridge.com>,
                                       "'Felix Sasaki'" <fsasaki@w3.org>,
                                       Dave A Schell/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       "'Bryan Schnabel'"
                                       <bryan.s.schnabel@tek.com>, Don
                                       Day/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Translating required-cleanup

Hi Robert, Kevin, all,

While taking in account Kevin's point about not having files with such
elements at the translation stage, I think you still want to
make sure this case is cover. If an element exist, it is likely that, at
some point, it will end up in a set of documents going for
translation. In any case, it would feel wrong to have the translate
mechanism left with an unclear situation.

> What do others think? I think to clear up the confusion,
> we have to do one of the following (I would vote for the
> first):
> 1. Give required-cleanup and draft-comment a default of
> @translate="no"
> 2. Clarify that the current @translate behavior always
> applies - it even inherits for elements that do not
> usually get translated
> 3. Provide a list of exceptions
> where @translate does not inherit

While #1 sounds good I wonder about how this would work if the documents
use DITA schema instead of DTD. XSD allow for default, but
do always they get expended. For example: I think XSLT 1.0 was create
before XSD and therefore XSLT 1.0 processors may or may not
expend default values depending on each implementation. The same goes for
DOM engines.

Maybe a way around this would be to do #1 *and* #3: they don't seem to be
contradictory.

From ITS viewpoint, we should be able to cover any of the cases you listed:
It's only a matter to set the rules for required-cleanup
and draft-comment before or after the rules for @translate. We just need to
know which one take precedence.

Cheers,
-yves