dita-translation message

Subject: Subcommittee Meeting 8 May 2006

Hello Folks!
I'm finally back from travel and workshops, at least for this week. We
did not meet last week because of holidays. This week, we need to
continue our discussion of best practices. Please review Nancy
Harrison's memo before the call.

Agenda for Monday 10 April 2006

11:00 am - 12:00 am Eastern Standard Team (-5 GMT)

DITA Technical Committtee teleconference

USA Toll Free Number: 866-566-4838

USA Toll Number: +1-210-280-1707

PASSCODE: 185771

Roll Call

Approve Minutes from 24 April 2006 (enclosed for those who are not TC

members)

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/>

This link goes to the subcommittee home page rather than directly to the
minutes. Please link to the minutes yourselves.

I have attached a Word document with the minutes.

Action Items:
  --ACTION-- Robert to respond to Yves via email and site our
        decision/recommendation in that email. Robert to write up
proposal to
        be submitted to TC list.
	  Suggestion to make default translate=no on
        required-cleanup and draft-content.

New Business:

Discuss Andrzej's note on inline elements as follows:

"If we have the opportunity during today's conference call, I would like

to discuss the issue of subflows within inline elements.

The definition of inline elements for DITA has been a great step
forward. We now need to classify which of the inline elements are in
fact subflows, that is they do not form part of the linguistic text flow

within which they occur. For example footnote text (fn) or index text
(indexterm). For localization it is important to be able to separate
these out during translation and then to be able to put the text back
where appropriate."

Discuss Nancy Harrison's outline of Best Practice needs. Attached.

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
http://www.comtech-serv.com <http://www.comtech-serv.com/>
Skype joannhackos

--- Begin Message ---

Summary of Best Practices discussion on 10Apr2006

We need to present a proposal, for best practices relative to translation, to the main DITA TC.

Best practices fall into various categories:
        for authors                - base of these are DITA topic-oriented writing guidelines
                                - others are more operational
        for implementors        - setting up stylesheets and specializations to work consistentlyl for translated and multilingual content
        for vendors                - creating processing that plays well with multilingual content and content to be translated.

Sample Best practice scenarios and requirements
Sample 1. Indexing Guideline Use case
        author - inserts index entries immendiately after the start tag of the element containing the range of text to be indexed
        processing - when index entries are encountered, determines the location / scope of the index refernece as the parent element of the index

Sample 2  Container items around multilingual bulleted lists
        author - sets xml:lang attribute appropriately for each list item
        processor - produces output appropriate to xml:lang setting for each list item

Sample 3 Sorting multilingual content (in and index, for example)

Sample 4 Generation of translation style sheets (e.g. in English, book titles are often displayed in italic; Japanese has no italic, so book titles are displayed using open/closed corner brackets)
        implementor or vendor issue

Sample 5 Storage of boilerplate text
        Boilerplate text is often kept in one or more .dita files used as a source for conrefs across a document set. How hsould authors / implementors / processors deal with multiple sets of boilerplate files automatically?  DocBook names every file containing generated text with a language entension (two letter only), including English.  A similar scheme, but probably with locale, not just country, would work for DITA documents as well.

____
Nancy Harrison
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 781-676-2535