dita-translation message

Subject: Re: [dita-translation] Subcommittee Meeting 8 May 2006

HI,

As I committed, here is an updated version of my draft best practices summary includin the additios we made to the first vuuletto spur more discussion for our next meeting:

===================== new version ==========================================

Summary of Best Practices discussion on 10Apr2006

We need to present a proposal, for best practices relative to translation, to the main DITA TC.

Best practices fall into various categories:

       for authors                               - base of these are DITA topic-oriented writing guidelines

                                                       - others are more operational

       for implementors                        - setting up stylesheets and specializations to work consistentlyl for translated and multilingual content

       for various toolsvendors           - creating processing that plays well with multilingual content and content to be translated

        for translation tools                -

Sample Best practice scenarios and requirements
Sample 1. Indexing Guideline Use case
and best practices
-        author - inserts index entries immendiately after the start tag of the nearest containing block element, if appropriate, containing the range of text to be indexed
; some entries would have a smaller than block-level range
*** need examples of these best practices, especially for <item> and <step> ***
-        output processing - when index entries are encountered, determines the location / scope of the index refernece as the parent element of the index  -        translation tools - when index markers/tags are encountered within an eleent, translation tools shoud generate a subflow - well-configured XLIFF-based tools will do this automatically for you.  We'll need guidelines on suggested configurations.
-        DITA conversion/migration tools - if tool finds an index arker inthe middle of an element, instead of at the beginning of an element, best practice is to move it to the beginning of the nearest containing trandlation segment boundaries.
-       page ranges for incorporation into DITA 1.2

Sample 2  Container items around multilingual bulleted lists

       author - sets xml:lang attribute appropriately for each list item

       processor - produces output appropriate to xml:lang setting for each list item

Sample 3 Sorting multilingual content (in and index, for example)

Sample 4 Generation of translation style sheets (e.g. in English, book titles are often displayed in italic; Japanese has no italic, so book titles are displayed using open/closed corner brackets)

       implementor or vendor issue

Sample 5 Storage of boilerplate text

       Boilerplate text is often kept in one or more .dita files used as a source for conrefs across a document set. How hsould authors / implementors / processors deal with multiple sets of boilerplate files automatically?  DocBook names every file containing generated text with a language entension
(two letter only), including English.  A similar scheme, but probably with locale, not just country, would work for DITA documents as well.

Nancy

____
Nancy Harrison
IBM Rational Software