dita-translation message

Subject: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee -- Agenda 24 July 2006

Agenda for Monday 24 July 2006

11:00 am - 12:00 am Eastern Standard Team DITA Technical Committee
teleconference USA Toll Free Number: 866-566-4838 USA Toll Number:
+1-210-280-1707

PASSCODE: 185771

Unfortunately, I will be traveling at the meeting time on Monday. Don
Day has gratiously agreed to chair the meeting. JoAnn

Roll Call

Accept Minutes from 17 July 2006 (enclosed for those who are not TC

members)

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/<http://ww

w.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/>

Attached for non-members.

3) Review open action items

 --ACTION-- Rodolfo to prepare an outline for this best practice
document
    for translating DITA and submit to list for discussion at a future
meeting.
    At that meeting, SC should agree on the outline.
  In Progress
  --ACTION-- Everyone to read Rodolfo's XLIFF article[2] and
    provide feedback to Rodolfo this week via the mailing list.
http://www.heartsome.org/EN/localisation.html
  In Progress

--ACTION -- Next draft of the best practice for legacy TM
In progress Gershon Joseph

--ACTION-- Robert and JoAnn to work on wording of note to keyword
element
    noting that it is considered inline when inside topics, but as
standalone segments when inside <keywords> (in prolog).

    --ACTION-- Rodolfo and Andrzej to investigate how translation tools
can
    differentiate between these keyword elements as inline and
standalone
    segments.

    --ACTION-- JoAnn to take to TC our concerns about both the start and
end
    index range markers holding the index term.

4) Returning business:

4.1 Open discussion of indexing -- to include France Baril, Erik Hennum,
Chris Wong invited to join from the TC.

We will use this discussion to clarify the issues the SC has around
indexing and to ensure that we all understand how the indexing tags in
the prolog and inline are supposed to function from the point of view of
translation

4.2 Review the revision of the draft Best Practices for Indexing.
See the enclosed draft.

4.3 Discuss the paper on Rodolfo's website to be used as a source for an
XLIFF best practice document.

5. New Business: (still on hold)

5.1 Handling multi-language documents

Charles Pau and others to provide examples to the list for discussion
(multi-language documents best practice)

5.2 Andrjez provided examples of the need to change reusable building
block to the group for discussion. (conref best practice)

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
joannhackos Skype
www.comtech-serv.com

DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 17 July 2006

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Translation Subcommittee met on Monday, 17 July 2006 at 08:00am PT
for 70 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    Present:
        Don Day
        Kevin Farwell
        JoAnn Hackos
        Gershon Joseph
        Rodolfo Raya
        Yves Savourel
        David Walters
        Andrzej Zydron

    Regrets:
        Felix Sasaki

2.  Accept the minutes[1] of the previous meeting.

    Accepted by acclamation. [Moved by Don, seconded by Rodolfo.]

3.  Review open action items:

    ACTION  -- Rodolfo to prepare an outline for this best practice document
    for translating DITA and submit to list for discussion at a future meeting.
    At that meeting, SC should agree on the outline.

    CONTINUE.

    --ACTION-- Everyone to read Rodolfo's XLIFF article[2] and
    provide feedback to Rodolfo this week via the mailing list.

    CONTINUE.

    --ACTION-- Robert and JoAnn to work on wording of note to keyword element
    noting that it is considered inline when inside topics, but as standalone
    segments when inside <keywords> (in prolog).

    CONTINUE.

    --ACTION-- Rodolfo and Andrzej to investigate how translation tools can
    differentiate between these keyword elements as inline and standalone
    segments.

    CONTINUE.

    --ACTION-- JoAnn to take to TC our concerns about both the start and end
    index range markers holding the index term.

    COMPLETED.

4.  Returning business:

4.1 Discuss submission of the xml:lang and the dir recommendations as Commitee
    Drafts to the TC.

    A Committee Draft is an OASIS deliverable so the publishing requirements
    are the same :-) Basically the output should resemble the OASIS templates
    - if we need to create the cover information separately and then prepend
    to both the HTML and PDF I don't see a problem with that, although having
    all the content in a single clump is optimum. (from Mary MacRae)

    Don: Main issue is cover page; contents of best practice are flexible.

4.2 Discuss Gershon Joseph's next draft of the best practice for legacy TM

    --ACTION-- Gershon to update document based on input during the meeting.

-- Meeting adjourned at 09:10am PT --

4.3 Discuss the paper on Rodolfo's website to be used as a source for best
    practice document.

4.4 Review the revision of the draft Best Practices for Indexing.

    //JoAnn's 2nd draft. not yet complete. Please add comments to the draft.

5.  New Business:

5.1 Handling multi-language documents

    Charles Pau and others to provide examples to the list for discussion

5.2 Andrjez provided examples of the need to change reusable building block to
    the group for discussion.

----
[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-translation/200607/msg00009.html
[2] http://www.heartsome.org/EN/xliff.html

Best Practice for Indexing DITA topics.doc