dita-translation message

Subject: FW: [dita] FW: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee -- Agenda 24 July 2006

Forwarded on behalf of France Baril for discussion during the SC meeting

Best Regards,
Gershon

---
Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

-----Original Message-----
From: France Baril [mailto:France.Baril@ixiasoft.com]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 6:06 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita] FW: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee -- Agenda 24 July
2006

-----Original Message-----
From: France Baril
Sent: July 24, 2006 10:16 AM
To: 'JoAnn Hackos'
Cc: 'Don Day'

Can I suggest that we add to the agenda the question about not translating
indexterms and keywords in an exact one to one match. It should be possible
to add or remove indexterms and keywords. This, to my knowledge, cannot be
managed by any tool.

For example, in Qc we have these indexterm for info about email.

<indexterm>courriel</indexterm>
<indexterm>mél</indexterm>
<indexterm>email</indexterm>

That's because mél is used in France, courriel in Québec and many users use
the English term email. It does not make sense to have 3 entries in English,
one would be enough. You meet the same issue when a two word expression in
one language becomes a one work expression.

<indexterm>accueil
	<indexterm>page d'</indexterm>
</indexterm>

<indexterm>homepage</indexterm>

This example is so so because there are work arounds, but it's the only one
I could think of at this time.

Thanks,

France