dita-translation message

Subject: DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 6 November 2006

Best Regards,
Gershon

---
Gershon L Joseph
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee |
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee |
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing |
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
http://www.tech-tav.com
DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 6 November 2006

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Translation Subcommittee met on Monday, 6 November 2006 at 08:00am PT
for 30 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    Present:
        Gershon Joseph
        Don Day
        Robert Anderson
        JoAnn Hackos
        Nancy Harrison
        Andrzej Zydron
        Nick Rosenthal (trying out)

2.  Accept Minutes from 23 October 2006 and 30 October 2006

    Accepted (JoAnn moved, Gershon seconded).

3.  Review open action items

    --ACTION-- Nancy Harrison to develop the draft Best Practice on
    multi-language documents

    CONTINUE. (should be out for review today)

    --ACTION-- Andrzej to revise the conref best practice document

    CONTINUE. (Rodolfo updating with Japanese)

    --ACTION--JoAnn to review the document from Christian Lieske on DITA and
    translation

    CONTINUE. (we now have permission to make this document public. Gershon to
    send to committee members on JoAnn's behalf)

4.  Returning business:

4.1 Review Andrzej's new draft of the best practices on conref.

    ACTION: Everyone to review the list, particularly those who missed last
    week's meeting.

4.2 Continue feedback on Robert Anderson’s new draft of the inline elements table
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/20570/elementsOnePointOne.html

4.3 Nancy Harrison to work on examples of multi-language documents
    this week and we'll formulate a definition next meeting.

    Nancy reviewed the email summarizing the points.

    Discussion on how multilingual content would be stored and published.

    ACTION: Nancy to add a statement for inline multilingual content. JoAnn
    will try to find an online example.

4.3 Review Rodolfo’s XLIFF article outline at the Heartsome wiki address.

    http://www.heartsome.org/hswiki/DITA_XLIFF

    If anyone wants to add sections, comments or any idea, please go ahead and
    change the wiki.

4.4 Other continued action items if available.

5.  New Business:

    Determine if Christian Lieske’s paper on DITA and Translation is ready for
    review by the committee

    JoAnn: Yes it is. We have permission to make it public in the SC.

    ACTION: Gershon to send directly to SC members (not to OASIS list).

6.  Open:

    Andrzej and JoAnn updated SC on DITA Europe.

    Considered a success. Good turnout at Translation SC group meeting.

    Andrzej: Good discussions on use of conref or other variable usage causing
    major problems in translation. Recommends we make BP document on how to
    write/work with DITA in a way that facilitates translation instead of
    impacting ease of translation. Variables are very problematic. There are
    ways around the problem -- we need to provide foolproof guidelines
    for varying some of the content in a way that ensure all languages will be
    grammatically correct. Proposes new variables BP document that he'll develop
    with Rodolfo.

    JoAnn asked Don if we can get Charles Pau to provide input on these
    translation oriented BP documents.
    Don: Include David Walters too.

-- Meeting adjourned at 8:30 --