dita-translation message

Subject: Re: [dita-translation] DITA Translation Subcommittee Agenda--4 December2006

Well, I found one seriously multilingual public site, a site with multilingual versions of the Koran displayed side by side. See:

http://www.al-islam.org/quran/

I'm still looking for others, in case we decide we want a more secular example...

nancy

____
Nancy Harrison
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 781-676-2535
nancyph@us.ibm.com

"JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

12/03/2006 02:43 PM

<dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.org>, <DITA.Translation@us.ibm.com>, "Nick Rosenthal" <nick@salftrans.co.uk>, "Paul Grosso" <pgrosso@ptc.com>
cc
Subject
[dita-translation] DITA Translation Subcommittee Agenda--4 December 2006

Hi Folks!.

Agenda for Monday 27 November 2006

11:00 am - 12:00 am Eastern Standard Team DITA Technical Committee teleconference

USA Toll Free Number: 866-566-4838 USA Toll Number:

+1-210-280-1707

PASSCODE: 185771

1) Roll Call

2) Accept Minutes from 20 November 2006

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/<http://ww

w.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/>

Attached for guests and observers.

3.  Review open action items

    ACTION: Nancy to add a statement for inline multilingual content. Nancy
   and Bruce will try to find a new online example.

    CONTINUED.

    ACTION: Andrzej and Rodolfo to revise the conref best practice document

    Andrzej: Should we include a section about variables, e.g. variables used
   to replace product name? Ian Larner of IBM spoke about this at a recent
   conference. Andrzej asked Ian for the examples, and is currently still
   waiting for a reply.

    Gershon: Since the recommended way to handle variables in DITA is via
   conref, this issue is closely related to conref. Therefore the conref
   best practice should include a section (with examples provided by IBM) on
   the use of conrefs for variables. No objections. No new action item is
   needed, since this can be included in the current conref best practice
   action item.

    CONTINUED, as follows:
   * Rodolfo to work with Andrzej to add section on Japanese.
   * Andrzej to add new variables section, with examples.

    ACTION: All committee members. Provide feedback on Robert Anderson’s new
   draft of the inline elements table

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/20570/elementsOnePointOne.html

    CONTINUED. Everyone please review for discussion next week.

    ACTION: Gershon and Don will present the approved best practices on
   indexing and Translation Memory as committee drafts for approval by the
   DITA Technical Committee.

    CONTINUED. Gershon posted the final BP document on the OASIS DITA TC site
   and asked TC members to review it. TC will address it when it's next on
   the TC agenda.

    COMPLETED.

    ACTION: JoAnn to ask Charles Pau and David Walters to review the
   forthcoming best practices on conref, multi-language documents, and others.

    CONTINUED.

    ACTION: Everyone to review the document JoAnn posted on 13 November (subject:
   Document from Christian Lieske).

4) Returning business:

4.1 Review Paul Grosso's comments on the Indexing Best Practice.

4.2 Review new drafts of the conref best practice

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

----- Message from "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com> on Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:53:37 -0700 -----
To:
<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject:
[dita] review of indexing best practices

Here is my review of the indexing best practices document at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/20479/092606%20Best%20
Practice%20for%20Indexing%20DITA%20topics_jth.doc

Example 2 is too confusing with "topic-based authoring"
being used at the text for both a primary and secondary

term.

I disagree with the suggestion made in example 4 in
that I would strongly council that the indexterm for

a section not precede the title of the section (if any).

Putting the indexterm before the title makes it harder

visually when reading the source and can affect some

structured editors' attempt to make "bookmarks" or

dynamic "tables of contents".  I would either change

this example to replace "section" with something else

that cannot take a title or to add a "title" to this

example and show the indexterm following (or within)

the title element.

Both examples 3 and 4 (as well as example 2) seem to me
to be examples of:

  Insert block-level index tags immediately following the
 start tag of the applicable containing block element.

They do not seem to me to be appropriate examples of:

  Insert a sentence-level index tag immediately preceding
 the sentence in which the text occurs.

Example 5 says it shows a definition list item, but it
doesn't.  Instead it shows a <dd> element.  Regardless,

it shows the <dd> in the midde of text which is not valid.

(Neither would a definition list item be valid in the

middle of text.)  We shouldn't show examples that are

clearly invalid DITA.

Furthermore, even if example 5 were valid, it would seem
more suited to be an example of:

  Insert block-level index tags immediately following the
 start tag of the applicable containing block element.

than what it's supposed to be which is:

  Insert word or phrase-level index tag immediately
 preceding the text to which it applies.

Example 6 doesn't really do a good job of motivating
or explaining what it's supposed to, which is:

  Avoid relocating an index tag within a text that has
 not changed since the last translation when you have

 pointed to a specific word or phrase in the text.

but I'm not sure how best to create such an example
without also showing what it looked like the last time

there was a translation.

paul

DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 20 November 2006

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Translation Subcommittee met on Monday, 20 November 2006 at 08:00am PT
for 25 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    Present:
        Gershon Joseph
        Bob Doyle
        Rodolfo Raya
        Kevin Farwell
        Robert Anderson
        Andrzej Zydron
        Don Day

    Regrets:
        JoAnn Hackos

2.  Accept Minutes from 13 November 2006

    Accepted (Gershon moved, Rodolfo seconded).

3.  Review open action items

    ACTION: Nancy to add a statement for inline multilingual content. Nancy
    and Bruce will try to find a new online example.

    CONTINUED.

    ACTION: Andrzej to revise the conref best practice document

[...]

4.  Returning business:

4.1 Review Rodolfo’s additions to the conref best practice for Japanese.

    Remove from here, it's covered by an action item.

4.2 Review Nancy’s draft of the multi-language documents best practice.

    Remove from here, it's covered by an action item.

4.3 Discussion of Christian Lieske’s presentation from 13 November 2006.

    Move to next week's agenda so that people have time to review thoroughly.

    ACTION: Everyone to review the document JoAnn posted on 13 November (subject:
    Document from Christian Lieske).

4.4 Review Rodolfo’s XLIFF article outline at the Heartsome Wiki address.

    http://www.heartsome.org/hswiki/DITA_XLIFF

    If anyone wants to add sections, comments or any idea, please go ahead and
    change the Wiki.

    Rodolfo: The outline was reviewed by the SC and accepted. Rodolfo is filling
    in content. If anyone wants to add any content or has ideas, please contact
    Rodolfo offline, or update the Wiki or send email to the SC list.

5.  New Business:

    None.

6.  Open:

    None.