dita-translation message

Subject: DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 22 January 2007

Hi everyone,

1. Please review Christian Lieske's document (action item 3.8) for
discussion at next week's meeting.

2. Andrzej will be sending out the final conref best practice later this
week for review and hopefully acceptance vote at next week's meeting.
Please try to review the BP before next week's meeting so we can vote on it.

See you there!
Gershon
--

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
web:    http://www.tech-tav.com
DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 22 January 2007

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Translation Subcommittee met on Monday, 22 January 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 40 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    Present:
        Gershon Joseph
        Nick Rosenthal
        Robert Anderson
        Andrzej Zydron
        JoAnn Hackos
        Rodolfo Raya
        Don Day

    Regrets:

2.  Accept Minutes from 15 January 2007

    Accepted (JoAnn moved, Gershon seconded).

3.  Review open action items

    3.1 ACTION: Nancy to add a statement for inline multilingual content. Nancy
        and Bruce will try to find a new online example.

        COMPLETED.

    3.2 ACTION: Nick to send examples to JoAnn.
        COMPLETED.

    3.3 ACTION: Gershon to investigate whether he can use a client's samples.
        CONTINUED. (client is awaiting legal OK)

    3.4 ACTION: Nancy to incorporate the review input and submit updated BP doc
        for review.

        CONTINUED.

    3.5 ACTION: Andrzej and Rodolfo to revise the conref best practice document

        CONTINUED. Felix Sasaki provided input regarding Japanese. Andrzej to revise
        BP document to include this new information.

    3.6 ACTION: Gershon and Don will present the approved best practices on
        indexing and Translation Memory as committee drafts for approval by the DITA
        Technical Committee.

        ON HOLD (until DITA TC closes 1.1 spec)

    3.7 ACTION: JoAnn to ask Charles Pau and David Walters to review the forthcoming
        best practices on conref, multi-language documents, and others.

        COMPLETED (both are on the SC list; JoAnn will remind them off-line).

    3.8 ACTION: Everyone to review the document JoAnn posted on 13 November
        (subject: Document from Christian Lieske).

        CONTINUED [will be discussed next week].

    3.9 ACTION: Don to raise glossary work item at the TC after the 1.1 draft to
        see if it needs its own subcommittee.

        ON HOLD (until DITA TC closes 1.1 spec)

4)  Returning business:

    4.1 Review the new draft of the Multi-language Best Practice (Nancy Harrison)
        [Nancy may not be available for this meeting]

        Deferred to next week.

    4.2 Review Felix Sasaki's comments about Japanese for conrefs.
        Andrzej to address to complete the conref best practice.

        Andrzej will contact Felix off-line to understand the Japanese examples,
        and will submit an updated draft. We will vote on the conref best practice
        next week.

5) New business:

5.1 Discuss Translation SC Charter --Renew or end work of the SC?
    * See comments from the 8 Jan minutes.
    * Discuss proposals for new issues to be addressed in 2007
        * Glossary proposal (Kara Warburton).
        * Attributes, acronyms, variables in translation (Howard Schwartz).
            "I was wondering how you and the committee were thinking about attributes
            in general during translation. If the attribute is in another file as
            a conref such as the example below and the translator gets the xml and
            sentence and doesn't see the variable or the acronym (ie ABS), won't that
            undermine the translator's ability to understand the sentence?"

    Gershon: Translatable attributes are being removed from DITA, so the attributes
    part is a non-issue beyond the short-term.

    Rodolfo: Terminology is a broad issue beyond the scope of our subcommittee.
    It's possible to use namespaces to embed glossaries in DITA doc, where the
    glossaries are marked up in some other vocabulary. Regarding attributes,
    translators should receive material ready for translation, and should
    see what will be published from the translation and therefore must
    see the attributes too (since they need context).

    Andrzej: Acronyms are used everywhere and we can't get away from them.
    They are very important to both authoring and translation. Acronyms
    are distinct from terminology and should be treated as a separate issue.
    Unlike normal glossaries, acronyms have a property that applies the first
    time they are invoked (expanded in parentheses or acronym in parentheses).
    Acronyms cause tremendous problems in translation: in gender, number and
    inflection. I feel acronyms should be tackled properly and we should look
    at them as a separate entity. There should be an acronym element available
    and we need a Best Practice to handle them at publishing time, as well as
    authoring and translation time.

    Nick: I second what Andrzej says that acronyms when done correctly will
    result in cost savings, but often are a nightmare that escalate
    translation costs.

    Andrzej: Translation is a very important aspect of DITA and we need to always
    be available to assess new elements (e.g. acronym) and advise on how
    new elements will affect the DITA spec from a translation perspective.

    JoAnn: We still can work on best practices for glossaries and acronyms.
    We should revise the charter.

    Gershon: The new charter should address our ongoing analysis of translation-
    related aspects as DITA is evolved.

    Don: JoAnn should suggest to Carol the idea of going into a maintenance mode
    to monitor the TC's activities and if OASIS is OK with this (since SCs are
    supposed to close once they have completed their charter).

    Don feels the new activities discussed today would be better handled via the
    OASIS liaison mechanism and/or invoking input from some of the current SC members
    on an as-needed basis in the future.

    JoAnn: We have some business to finish (2 Best Practices) and we can revisit this
    question once we vote on those remaining BPs. I will check with Carol about
    maintenance mode of SCs and also I'll encourage the SC members to monitor the TC minutes
    for anything that requires translation considerations.

6.  Open:

    JoAnn asked Gershon to chair next week's meeting.

--Meeting adjourned at 8:40--