dita-translation message

Subject: DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 19 February 2007

--

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
web:    http://www.tech-tav.com
DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 19 February 2007

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Translation Subcommittee met on Monday, 19 February 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 50 minutes.

1)  Roll Call

    Present:
        Gershon Joseph
        JoAnn Hackos
        Robert Anderson
        Rodolfo Raya
        Don Day
        Andrzej Zydron
        Nick Rosenthal

    Regrets:

2)  Accept Minutes from 5 February 2007
    Accepted. [JoAnn moved, Rodolfo seconded, no objections]

3)  Review open action items

    3.1 ACTION: Gershon to investigate whether he can use a client's samples.

        CONTINUED. (client is awaiting legal OK)

    3.2 ACTION: Gershon and Don will present the approved best practices on
        indexing and Translation Memory as committee drafts for approval by the DITA
        Technical Committee.

        ON HOLD (until DITA TC closes 1.1 spec)

    3.3 ACTION: Everyone to review the document JoAnn posted on 13 November
        (subject: Document from Christian Lieske).

        CONTINUED

    3.4 ACTION: Don to raise glossary work item at the TC after the 1.1 draft to
        see if it needs its own subcommittee.

        ON HOLD (until DITA TC closes 1.1 spec)

    3.5 ACTION: JoAnn will contact Carol Geyer to discuss the possibility of a
        maintenance mode for the committee.

        COMPLETED. Mary said no problem with maintenance mode.

4) Returning business:

    4.1 Review the new draft of the Multi-language Best Practice (Nancy Harrison)

        Revisit next week (Nancy not on call this week)

    4.2 Review Robert Anderson's response on the lang attribute.

        Rodolfo feels DITA spec should nevertheless encourage use of the correct
        cases recommended by RFC 4646.

        Don feels we link to the other specs, so we should not hard-code such
        changeable information in our spec.

        Robert: Our spec links to the W3C page on localization, which links to
        RFC 4646.

        The subcommittee is satisfied that linking to the W3C page meets our needs.

    4.3 Review Andrzej Zydron's OAXAL proposal

        Andrzej: This is an initial document. I'm working on a newer version
        that I hope to put on xml.com and I'll provide a link to that version
        when it's published.

        Discussion on whether the OAXAL standard should address proprietary
        translation tools (specifically the leading ones). Andrzej feels they
        lock the customer into a particular vendor's solution, whereas this
        proposal uses related open standards.

        JoAnn: Where does the DITA and DITA Translation TCs fit into this?

        Andrzej: I'd like to see DITA recommend OAXAL as a best practice.

        Don feels the TC can't do that at this time, since most DITA
        users (including IBM) don't use xml-tm and some of the other standards
        discussed herein.

        JoAnn: We should be able to recommend standards as a best practice, even
        though there may be other ways of doing it.

        DISCUSSION on whether we should reference other standards such as xml-tm
        and if we do, how best to reference them.

        Don suggested Andrzej takes promoting OAXAL to LISA rather than having DITA
        promote OAXAL.

        JoAnn asked Andrzej to report back to us after the LISA steering committee
        discusses OAXAL.

5)  New business:

    5.1 Continue discussion of a new charter for the committee going forward.

        Andrzej proposed we develop a best practice for acronyms and recommendation for
        DITA elements for marking up acronyms.

        JoAnn will revisit our charter and work out how best we should move forward.

    5.2 Review Christian Lieske's article

        JoAnn resent the document. Please review for discussion next week.

--Meeting adjourned at 8:50--