dita-translation message

Subject: Acronyms: English is inflected, too

Hi all,

Forgive me if this has already been discussed.  I went back through the archives and didn't see anything quite like it, but I admit that I may have missed it.

The current draft of the acronym proposal speaks of translation issues when an acronym is translated into a language that has inflection (Polish case is the example given).  But inflections can be a problem even when the document is never translated, both inside and outside the abbreviation.

Example in English:
<acronym id="html">
  <expanded>hypertext markup language</expanded>
  <short>HTML</short>
</acronym>

Depending on rules for ordering acronyms, and whether this is the first appearance of the abbreviation, we might get:
A hypertext markup language (HTML) document contains a head and a body.
*A HTML (hypertext markup language) document contains a head and a body.
*A HTML document contains a head and a body.

The examples marked * will be unnatural to the portion of English speakers who use a "soft H" to spell out the letter.  Using "An" in the source paragraph would sound pretentious or wrong for the alternate case:
*An hypertext markup language (HTML) document contains a head and a body.
An HTML (hypertext markup language) document contains a head and a body.
An HTML document contains a head and a body.

It would appear that the author of the re-using paragraph has to know deep information about the possible presentations of the acronym.  English would be immune to this particular issue if the abbreviation always came first, but it isn't always natural to order the parts that way, and can we be sure that such a rule would protect every language?

I can't tell if this is the same issue as the Polish case case or not.  In the case of Polish, the abbreviation itself changes its spelling.  In the case of English, the re-using text that pulls the abbreviation is the one that has to be careful.

At the moment the only general solution I can think of is "then don't do that", which feels pretty lame.

--
Deborah Pickett
Information Architect, Moldflow Corporation, Melbourne