dita-translation message

Subject: FW: [dita-translation] Groups - Best Practice for using Conrefsfor Translation (Best Practices Conref.pdf) uploaded

Thank You.

I feel the siutaiotn with conrefs is essentially the same as those concerning tokens,concatenation or entities (i.e., this is not essentially a DITA issue. I have a couple of concerns with this one:

A) Never user confref to substitute nouns or phrases.... OK, but the problem is exacerbated when nouns and verbs are in the same sentence and flexing is required. So perhaps this should say never use conref to substitute nouns that are translated or verbs. Some nouns may not be translated - for example system names, table names, userids, environment variables.

B) Proper Nouns may also require translation, so A) applies. For example, product names are translated, but not only that, as flexed - for example, I believe in Hebrew.

Regards

Ultan

-----Original Message-----
From: joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com [mailto:joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com]
Sent: 06 August 2007 16:52
To: dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.org

The document named Best Practice for using Conrefs for Translation (Best Practices Conref.pdf) has been submitted by Dr. JoAnn Hackos to the DITA Translation Subcommittee document repository.

Document Description:
Describes the issues that involve using conrefs as they relate to the translations of the content. Recommends a series of best practices

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/document.php?document_id=24904

Download Document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/download.php/24904/Best%20Practices%20Conref.pdf

PLEASE NOTE:  If the above links do not work for you, your email application may be breaking the link into two pieces.  You may be able to copy and paste the entire link address into the address field of your web browser.

-OASIS Open Administration