dita-translation message

Subject: FW: Introduction of <surface-form> to the acronym proposal

 forwarded from Kara

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Kara Warburton [mailto:KARA@CA.IBM.COM]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 4:53 PM
To: JoAnn Hackos

Hi JoAnn,

I wasn't able to send this to the distribution list as I don't have
authority to use it. Please forward to the team. Thanks.

Kara Warburton
IBM LanguageWare & Terminology
Team Lead, Language & Data Integration
905-413-2170

IBM terminology: http://w3.ibm.com/standards/terminology
LanguageWare: http://languageware.redirect.webahead.ibm.com/
My blog: http://blogs.tap.ibm.com/weblogs/page/kara@ca.ibm.com
----- Forwarded by Kara Warburton/Toronto/IBM on 20/08/2007 06:52 PM
-----

             Kara

             Warburton/Toronto

             /IBM
                                       Andrzej Zydron - XML-INTL

             20/08/2007 01:26          <azydron@xml-intl.com>

             PM
cc
                                       bhertz@sdl.com,

                                       bryan.s.schnabel@tek.com,

                                       charles_pau@us.ibm.com,

                                       christian.lieske@sap.com, DITA

                                       Translation SC

<dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.
                                       org>, dpooley@sdl.com,

                                       dschell@us.ibm.com,
fsasaki@w3.org,
                                       Gershon L Joseph

                                       <gershon@tech-tav.com>,

                                       Howard.Schwartz@trados.com,

                                       ishida@w3.org,

                                       jennifer.linton@comtech-serv.com,

                                       mambrose@sdl.com,

                                       nick@salftrans.co.uk,

                                       pcarey@lexmark.com,

                                       rfletcher@sdl.com,

                                       Sukumar.Munshi@lionbridge.com,

tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.c
                                       om, ysavourel@translate.com

Subject
                                       Re: Introduction of
<surface-form>
                                       to the acronym proposal(Document

                                       link: Kara Warburton)

Hi everyone,

I have just returned from a business trip... sorry for being unable to
comment on the proposals or attend the meetings in recent weeks.

I would like to make a few comments on the proposal....

1. We still have not addressed the situation of abbreviations that are
NOT acronyms, such as "abend" for "abnormal end of task". These also
have to be handled similar to acronyms but they need to be marked up
with their own element. Marking them with <acronym> would be a mistake.

2. There are some ambiguities in the added text from Don... although
very helpful I would like to suggest some changes to correct them. A few
examples would also help. Please see the attached doc file which has
"track changes" enabled.

(See attached file: Acronyms_and_translation_kw.doc)

Kara Warburton
IBM LanguageWare & Terminology
Team Lead, Language & Data Integration
905-413-2170

IBM terminology: http://w3.ibm.com/standards/terminology
LanguageWare: http://languageware.redirect.webahead.ibm.com/
My blog: http://blogs.tap.ibm.com/weblogs/page/kara@ca.ibm.com

             Andrzej Zydron -

             XML-INTL

             <azydron@xml-intl
             .com>                     Gershon L Joseph

                                       <gershon@tech-tav.com>

             14/08/2007 03:10
cc
             PM                        DITA Translation SC

<dita-translation@lists.oasis-open.
                                       org>, mambrose@sdl.com,

                                       pcarey@lexmark.com,

                                       rfletcher@sdl.com,
bhertz@sdl.com,
                                       ishida@w3.org,

tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.c
                                       om, christian.lieske@sap.com,

                                       jennifer.linton@comtech-serv.com,

                                       Sukumar.Munshi@lionbridge.com,

                                       charles_pau@us.ibm.com,

                                       dpooley@sdl.com,

                                       nick@salftrans.co.uk,

                                       fsasaki@w3.org,

                                       ysavourel@translate.com,

                                       dschell@us.ibm.com,

                                       bryan.s.schnabel@tek.com,

                                       Howard.Schwartz@trados.com, Kara

                                       Warburton/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

Subject
                                       Introduction of <surface-form> to

                                       the acronym proposal

Hi Everyone,

Subsequent to the TC discussion yesterday I have updated the proposal
accordingly:

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/TranslationSubcommittee/Acronyms

The main point has been the addition of the <surface-form> element, and
the modification of the relevant text. I have also copied Don's
excellent  'Acronym and Translation' list into the proposal as it
defines succinctly the issues involved. I hope we are now very close to
full agreement on the acronym proposal.

Best Regards,

AZ

--

email - azydron@xml-intl.com
smail - c/o Mr. A.Zydron

the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you may not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless explicitly stated
otherwise this message is provided for informational purposes only and
should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.

(See attached file: azydron.vcf)

Acronyms_and_translation_kw.doc

azydron.vcf