dita-translation message

Subject: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee Agenda -- 24 September 2007

Hello All,
Meeting Agenda for 24 September 2007

Toll Numbers: USA +1-770-615-1250
Toll-Free Numbers: USA 877-421-0033
Participant Passcode: 610708

ITN: 2-421-0033

In addition, if you are calling from one of these countries, even the toll-based charges should be lower than standard long distance--use whatever works from your location:

Country Toll-free (IBM Pays) Toll (Caller Pays)
Austria +43 179576264
Belgium 0800-7-3026 +32 22006114
Denmark 80-888377 +45 38323070
Finland 0800-914-630 +358 972519061
France 0800-902366 +33 157323040 or  +33 157323041
Germany 0800-181-6323 +49 6951709081
Ireland 1800-558728 +353 16569209
Italy 800-788634 +39 0269430413
Netherlands 0800-022-8558 +31 202008077
Norway 800-18373 +47 24159528
Spain 900-95-1089 +34 912754171
Sweden 020-799414 +46 850163259
Switzerland 0800-564-331 +41 44654562
United Kingdom 0808-234-1969 +44 2070260533
USA 877-421-0033 770-615-1250

1)  Roll Call

2) Accept Minutes from 27 August 2007 (see attached)

     http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/TranslationSubcommittee

3)  Review open action items

    3.1 ACTION: Gershon to investigate whether he can use a client's samples.
        Gershon will assemble all the examples into the template for the TC; need to add the examples to the Multilanguage   Best Practice.

        CONTINUED. Awaiting legal OK; Gershon is selecting items for use in the Best Practice.

    3.2 ACTION: Gershon and Don will present the approved best practices on
        indexing, conrefs, and multilanguage as committee drafts for approval by
the DITA Technical  Committee.

        CONTINUED. JoAnn to complete marking up in DITA XML and complete OASIS
        customization and deliver to TC for review

    3.5 ACTION: Rodolfo will continue to work on the Best Practice for XLIFF

        CONTINUED.

     3.6 ACTION: JoAnn will try writing the sort order addition to the indexing
        Best Practice for review.

        CONTINUED.

    3.7 ACTION: JoAnn will contact Richard Ischida to get clarification on the need for a pronunciation  element  or attribute for the acronym proposal.

         IN PROGRESS -- note sent to Richard. JoAnn raised the issue at the OASIS Symposium with  the Accessibility working group headed by Peter Brunet from IBM. They are working on Accessibility for ODF. Suggested that DITA be included in the accessibility discussions. No response as yet.

4)  Returning business:

   Note: Translation Memory Best Practices approved by the DITA Technical Committee.

   4.1 Review the Conref Best Practice in the New OASIS format.

   Note: I have revised the wording slightly to make the BP compatible with the OASIS format.

    4.2 Discuss the changes to Andrzej and Rodolfo's  acronym proposal.

_________________________

Based on our discussions last week it is recommended that the acronym proposal be expanded to include abbreviations and short forms where these have the same requirements as those of the original acronym proposal. The proposal is therefore to create an 'abbreviated-form' element which would act like the proposed acronym element and provide specialization in keeping with DITA principles. The change to the element syntax would be as per the following:

<acronym class="abbreviated-form" conref="acronyms.dita#acronyms/tla"/>

<abbreviation class="abbreviated-form"

conref="acronyms.dita#acronyms/abbrev"/>

<short-form class="abbreviated-form"

conref="acronyms.dita#acronyms/short"/>

This proposal has the benefit of allowing a more precise description of the item in question.

_____________________________________

 http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/TranslationSubcommittee

   5) New Business

  5.1 Comment on the W3C working draft.

A W3C working draft document entitled "Best Practices for XML Internationalization" was published last week.

It includes a section on DITA at

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xml-i18n-bp-20070628/#dita

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 27 August 2007
(Recorded by Gershon L Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Translation Subcommittee met on Monday 27 August 2007
at 8:00 PT for 70 minutes.

1)  Roll Call

    Present:
        JoAnn Hackos (chair)
        Gershon Joseph
        Nick Rosenthal
        Don Day
        Rodolfo Raya
        Kara Warburton
        Robert Anderson

2)  Accept Minutes from 13 August 2007
    (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/TranslationSubcommittee)

    Accepted by acclamation.

3)  Review open action items

    3.1 ACTION: Gershon to investigate whether he can use a client's samples.
        Gershon will assemble all the examples into the template for the TC;
        need to add the examples to the Multilanguage Best Practice.

        CONTINUED.

    3.2 ACTION: Gershon and Don will present the approved best practices on
        indexing, conrefs, Translation Memory, and multilanguage as committee
        drafts for approval by the  DITA Technical Committee.

        CONTINUED.

        JoAnn downloaded the Word template for OASIS white papers again. The previous
        template was completely corrupted.

        Don brought up the option of developing stylesheets for DITA to produce
        the OASIS white paper style.

        Decision to try using the new OASIS Word template.

        Rodolfo offered to take a stab at cleaning it up.

        ACTION: JoAnn to create a zip with the source content and latest Word template
        and post to the list. Whoever has time to try cleaning up the files will
        do so.

    3.5 ACTION: Rodolfo will continue to work on the Best Practice for XLIFF

        CONTINUED.

    3.6 ACTION: JoAnn will try writing the sort order addition to the indexing
        Best Practice for review.

        CONTINUED.

    3.7 ACTION: JoAnn will contact Richard Ischida to get clarification on the
        need for a pronunciation  element  or attribute for the acronym proposal.

        CONTINUED.

4)  Returning business:

    4.1 Discuss the changes to Andrzej and Rodolfo's acronym proposal. See the
        Wiki below. Consider Andrzej's additions in response to Kara's comments.
        See Deborah's email.
        (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/TranslationSubcommittee)

        Discussion on the fact we need to refine the requirements for this proposal.

        JoAnn: What's the difference between acronym and abbreviation?

        Rodolfo: If you decide to expand the abbreviation the first time, it's
        no different from acronym.

        Kara: DITA is not just an authoring format, it's a CMS format. As such,
        we've been experienceing a critical requirement to handle texts that
        are smaller than phrases. Acronyms and abbreviations are a special set;
        proper nouns, short forms, synonyms are other special cases. This acronym
        proposal touches on areas that are not just for acronyms. I'm concerned
        we will have only partial coverage with this acronym proposal.

        Don: Maybe this should be under the terminologist umbrella.

        JoAnn: We were interested in the acronym proposal because many organizations
        were wanting to use conref as a mechanism to provide an acronym, to provide
        the flexibility to change or move the acronym in and out of a master
        list. I thought abbreviations might work the same way. Though many publishing
        groups probably dont need a well-defined list of abbreviations, where they
        do need a well-defined list of acronyms. So we have this issue of needing
        flexibility in creating and adding acronyms to text and having flexibility
        in online presentation. My point of view was the issue of conref and online
        presentation.

        Rodolfo: When Andrzej and I started working on this proposal, we based
        it on multiple DITA files with conrefs everywhere. We wanted a mechanism
        to publish acronyms for publishing acronyms (expanding first use) and for
        translation.

        JoAnn: Second part (aside from publishing) is can we provide a way to deal
        with the first instance effectively and then provide a mechanism that makes
        the translation of acronyms straight-forward? Especially in cases where
        the acronym is not translated.

        Don: We must give the TC an action to comment on the requirements document
        for the acronym proposal.

        Discussion...

        JoAnn expressed concern whether combining acronyms and these other terms
        is good for the general documentation community for managing terminology.

        JoAnn: Many users will be using a terminology database or tool. I don't
        see the handling of acronyms coming from a terminology point of view. They
        are not all usually stored inline in the document. Who is our audience
        at this point for the DITA spec? I think we're talking about 2 audiences:
        terminologist + publishing. There is some overlap. It was designed to make
        people aware that conreffing an acronym leads to problems in translation
        that people were not aware of. Moving into the terminology realm is a whole
        new layer of complexity beyond our previous goal of making users aware of
        issues they could hit in translation. The term variant is a huge jump.
        Will publications people looking at DITA understand the point?

        Don: Our input from stakeholders should include both architect and publishing
        sides.

        Kara: The proposal I put forward is not from a terminoloty perspective,
        it's from a translation perspective. Translators need a well-formed context
        for the translation. We have to extract terms for tranlation in order to
        pretranslate terminology before the documentation is ready to be translated.
        All we are asking is for the writer to identify "this is a sentence that
        is meaningful to this term". This is new territory in content management
        that authors need to be aware of. Markup of terminolgy and inline definitions
        is new, and it's important we support this in DITA.

        Don suggested an action for us to make certain the wording in which we
        frame the scope of this requirement document sets the background that Kara
        just set. How big do we want this idea to go? I'd like to put the requirements
        in front of the TC tomorrow and take a week to make sure everyone has had
        a chance to address the scope of the requirements, and then another week
        to work on the actual requirements.

        JoAnn: Is our scope definition ready to take to the TC?

        Robert: We have to agree on requirements. I feel the next step is to ask
        the TC to proposse requirements. We should ask the TC to add requirements
        to the list.

        JoAnn: I'd like to at least go and explain what and why the term variant
        is there.

        ACTION: Robert to edit the list of requirements to clarify ahead of tomorrow's
        TC meeting so that the TC can be asked to review and add/modify reqs as needed.

-- over time; meeting adjourned --

    4.2 Continue discussion of Deborah Pickett's thoughts on the ruby attribute

    4.2 Discuss Rodolfo's  proposed additions to the Indexing best practice.
        http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/TranslationSubcommittee

        DEFERRED to next meeting.

5)  New Business

    5.1 Comment on the W3C working draft.

        A W3C working draft document entitled "Best Practices for XML
        Internationalization" was published last week.

        It includes a section on DITA at

        http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xml-i18n-bp-20070628/#dita

        DEFERRED to next meeting.

    5.2 Continue consideration of the ruby attribute
        Some discussion has begun on the yahoo group about the ruby attribute.
        See Deborah Pickett's notes.