dita-translation message

Subject: OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee Agenda -- 21 January 2008

Hello Translation SC Members,

We have a very important meeting scheduled for Monday 21 January. Please everyone try to attend.

Please find the agenda on the Subcommittee wiki

http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/TranslationSubcommittee

For observer's, see the Agenda at the end of this email.

We need to discuss the integrated Glossary/Terminology and Acronym proposals.

Original acronym proposal

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26361/IssueNumbe12038.html

I have enclosed Robert Anderson's comparison of the integrated proposal markup and the original acronym proposal markup.

Here is the link: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/email/archives/200801/msg00007.html

I would like to recommend two changes;

Erik's proposal
<glossentry id="wmd">
  <glossAcronym>WMD</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
    <glossSurfaceForm>Weapons of
        Mass Destruction (WMD)</glossSurfaceForm>
    <glossAlt><glossFullForm>Weapons of Mass
       Destruction</glossFullForm></glossAlt>
  </glossBody>
</glossentry>
Recommended changes: Change FullForm to ExpandedForm
Remove the <glossAlt> enclosing markup to avoid too many layers of markup

<glossentry id="wmd">
  <glossAcronym>WMD</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
    <glossSurfaceForm>Weapons of
        Mass Destruction (WMD)</glossSurfaceForm>
   <glossExpandedForm>Weapons of Mass
       Destruction</glossExpandedForm>
</glossBody> </glossentry>
JoAnn

Toll Numbers: USA +1-770-615-1250
Toll-Free Numbers: USA 877-421-0033
Participant Passcode: 610708

ITN: 2-421-0033

In addition, if you are calling from one of these countries, even the toll-based charges should be lower than standard long distance--use whatever works from your location:

Country Toll-free (IBM Pays) Toll (Caller Pays)
Austria +43 179576264
Belgium 0800-7-3026 +32 22006114
Denmark 80-888377 +45 38323070
Finland 0800-914-630 +358 972519061
France 0800-902366 +33 157323040 or  +33 157323041
Germany 0800-181-6323 +49 6951709081
Ireland 1800-558728 +353 16569209
Italy 800-788634 +39 0269430413
Netherlands 0800-022-8558 +31 202008077
Norway 800-18373 +47 24159528
Spain 900-95-1089 +34 912754171
Sweden 020-799414 +46 850163259
Switzerland 0800-564-331 +41 44654562
United Kingdom 0808-234-1969 +44 2070260533
USA 877-421-0033 770-615-1250

Agenda for 21 January 2008

8:00-8:05 Roll call PDT 1) Roll Call

2) Approve minutes from previous business meeting:

3) Review open action items

3.1 ACTION: Gershon to investigate whether he can use a client's samples.

Business:

4.1 Don report on status of the Conref Best Practice at the TC http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/ See 18 November 2007 document

4.2 Gershon report on the status of the Multilanguage Best Practice final format

4.3 JoAnn report on the Indexing Best Practice final format and revisions

4.4 Review the summary of the glossary and acronym proposals by Robert Anderson.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00056.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/26484/IssueGlossary12026.html

Subcommittee's original proposal http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26361/IssueNumbe12038.html _

5) New business:

None

8:50-8:55 Announcements/Opens

8:55 Adjourn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

Title: Acronym markup proposals

Acronym markup proposals

Sample markup from the various proposals

Note:
  • I've tried to line up literal samples from the original and revised acronym proposals. If something is missing or incorrect in either sample, then it is my mistake.
  • The examples below are my attempt to show literal markup differences between current proposals. If an element is not required in one, then it is not required in the other. The reason I put this together was to try to see, side by side, the differences in what a translator or author would see. I've left the xml:lang attribute off of each to simplify things, but readers can assume that it is properly set.
  • I've left a third column open just to point out that the merged proposal is not a final proposal, and if something is missing then the revised proposal should certainly include it.
Table 1. Weapons of Mass Destruction
  Original proposal Erik's merged proposal Revised proposal?
Reference
<abbreviated-form
  conref="acronyms.dita#acronyms/wmd"/>
<abbreviated-form keyref="wmd"/>

English target
expanded = glossFullForm
short = glossAcronym
surface-form = glossSurfaceForm

<abbreviated-form id="wmd">
  <expanded>Weapons of Mass Destruction</expanded>
  <short>WMD</short>
  <surface-form>Weapons of
     Mass Destruction (WMD)</surface-form>
</abbreviated-form>
<glossentry id="wmd">
  <glossAcronym>WMD</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
    <glossSurfaceForm>Weapons of
        Mass Destruction (WMD)</glossSurfaceForm>
    <glossAlt><glossFullForm>Weapons of Mass
       Destruction</glossFullForm></glossAlt>
  </glossBody>
</glossentry>

Translated target
expanded = glossFullForm
short = glossAcronym
surface-form = glossSurfaceForm

<abbreviated-form id="wmd">
  <expanded>armas de destrucción
     masiva</expanded>
  <short/>
  <surface-form>armas de destrucción
     masiva</surface-form>
</abbreviated-form>
<glossentry id="wmd">
  <glossAcronym>armas de destrucción
       masiva</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
    <glossSurfaceForm>armas de destrucción
       masiva</glossSurfaceForm>
    <glossAlt><glossFullForm>armas de
       destrucción masiva</glossFullForm></glossAlt>
  </glossBody>
</glossentry>

Table 2. AIDS
  Original proposal Erik's merged proposal Revised proposal?
Reference
<abbreviated-form
  conref="acronyms.dita#acronyms/aids"/>
<abbreviated-form keyref="aids"/>

English target
expanded = glossFullForm
short = glossAcronym
surface-form = glossSurfaceForm

<abbreviated-form id="aids">
  <expanded>acquired immunodeficiency
     syndrome</expanded>
  <short>AIDS</short>
  <surface-form>acquired immunodeficiency
     syndrome (AIDS)</surface-form>
</abbreviated-form>
<glossentry id="aids">
  <glossAcronym>AIDS</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
    <glossSurfaceForm>acquired immunodeficiency
      syndrome (AIDS)</glossSurfaceForm>
    <glossAlt><glossFullForm>acquired immunodeficiency
      syndrome</glossFullForm></glossAlt>
  </glossBody>
</glossentry>

Translated target
expanded = glossFullForm
short = glossAcronym
surface-form = glossSurfaceForm

<abbreviated-form id="aids">
  <expanded>síndrome de inmuno-deficiencia
     adquirida</expanded>
  <short>SIDA</short>
  <surface-form>síndrome de inmuno-deficiencia
     adquirida (SIDA)</surface-form>
</abbreviated-form>
<glossentry id="aids">
  <glossAcronym>SIDA</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
    <glossSurfaceForm>síndrome de
      inmuno-deficiencia adquirida
      (SIDA)</glossSurfaceForm>
    <glossAlt><glossFullForm>síndrome de
      inmuno-deficiencia adquirida</glossFullForm>
    </glossAlt>
  </glossBody>
</glossentry>

Table 3. The common file, all together
Original Proposal (English in the first row, Spanish in the next) Merged Proposal (English in the first row, Spanish in the next)
<topic id="acronyms" xml:lang="en">
 <title>Title (ignored)</title>
  <section>

   <abbreviated-form id="wmd">
    <expanded>Weapons of Mass Destruction</expanded>
    <short>WMD</short>
    <surface-form>Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)</surface-form>
   </abbreviated-form>

   <abbreviated-form id="aids">
    <expanded>acquired immunodeficiency syndrome</expanded>
    <short>AIDS</short>
    <surface-form>acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)</surface-form>
   </abbreviated-form>

  </section>
</topic>
<dita xml:lang="en">

 <glossentry id="wmd">
  <glossAcronym>WMD</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
   <glossSurfaceForm>Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)</glossSurfaceForm>
   <glossAlt>
    <glossFullForm>Weapons of Mass Destruction</glossFullForm>
   </glossAlt>
  </glossBody>
 </glossentry>

 <glossentry id="aids">
  <glossAcronym>AIDS</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
   <glossSurfaceForm>acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)</glossSurfaceForm>
   <glossAlt>
    <glossFullForm>acquired immunodeficiency syndrome</glossFullForm>
   </glossAlt>
  </glossBody>
 </glossentry>

</dita>
<topic id="acronyms" xml:lang="es">
 <title>Title (ignored)</title>
  <section>

   <abbreviated-form id="wmd">
    <expanded>armas de destrucción masiva</expanded>
    <short/>
    <surface-form>armas de destrucción masiva</surface-form>
   </abbreviated-form>

   <abbreviated-form id="aids">
    <expanded>síndrome de inmuno-deficiencia adquirida</expanded>
    <short>SIDA</short>
    <surface-form>síndrome de inmuno-deficiencia adquirida (SIDA)</surface-form>
   </abbreviated-form>

  </section>
</topic>
<dita xml:lang="es">

 <glossentry id="wmd">
  <glossAcronym>armas de destrucción masiva</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
   <glossSurfaceForm>armas de destrucción masiva</glossSurfaceForm>
   <glossAlt>
    <glossFullForm>armas de destrucción masiva</glossFullForm>
   </glossAlt>
  </glossBody>
 </glossentry>

 <glossentry id="aids">
  <glossAcronym>SIDA</glossAcronym>
  <glossBody>
    <glossSurfaceForm>síndrome de inmuno-deficiencia adquirida (SIDA)</glossSurfaceForm>