dita-translation message

Subject: FW: Revisions to Acronym proposal

Another comment from Bruce

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Esrig [mailto:esrig@alumni.princeton.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:45 AM
To: Robert D Anderson; Bruce Esrig
Cc: bhertz@sdl.com; Bryan Schnabel; christian.lieske@sap.com;
dpooley@sdl.com; Erik Hennum; fsasaki@w3.org; ishida@w3.org; JoAnn
Hackos; jogden@ptc.com; KARA@CA.IBM.COM; Michael Priestley;
rfletcher@sdl.com; rmraya@maxprograms.com;
tony.jewtushenko@productinnovator.com; ysavourel@translate.com; JoAnn
Hackos; Rodolfo M. Raya; Andrzej Zydron
Subject: Re: Revisions to Acronym proposal

Robert, Kara,

Thank you for these answers.

The mechanism that generates multiple glossary entries with "see"
references to the preferred term seems very well-designed. It should be
adequate for all needs within the glossary. Kara's ATM example clarifies
how multiple expanded forms for a single acronym would be handled.

Perhaps this statement is an incorrect explanation of a correct
decision:
2. The glossFullForm (also called glossExpandedForm) element can be
removed, because the expanded form of the term is already encoded as the
term.

Instead:
2. The glossFullForm (also called glossExpandedForm) element can be
removed because the expanded form of the term only needs to stand alone
in the glossary. The surface form can be used on first occurrence in the
text, and the preferred form can be used on subsequent occurrences.

Best wishes,

Bruce