dita-translation message

Subject: FW: DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 28 January 2008

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Gershon L Joseph [mailto:gershon@tech-tav.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:43 AM
To: JoAnn Hackos
Cc: Don Day

Hi JoAnn,

Please could you forward this to the official Translation subcommittee
list you have. I fear my list is a little out of date. Please also
include the DITA TC mail alias, so that all TC and TSC members are in
the loop.

I'm sorry I could not make yesterday's meeting. I've been snowed under
since returning from Cisco trying to catch up. I think I'm almost there!

Thanks and best regards,
Gershon

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee Secretary, OASIS DITA
Translation Subcommittee Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

DITA Translation Subcommittee Meeting Minutes: 28 January 2008
(Recorded by Gershon L Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Translation Subcommittee met on Monday 28 January 2008
at 8:00 PT for 45 minutes.

1)  Roll Call

    Present:
        Don Day (chair, minutes)
        Nick Rosenthal
        Jeff Ogden
        Robert Anderson
        Kara Warburton
        Erik Hennum

    Regrets:
        JoAnn Hackos

4)  Returning business:

    4.1 Review the new version of the acronym proposal.

        Review of changes--JoAnn added an acronym into the glossary example,
        added a sentence that vendors can require duplication of terms instead
        of empty elements, made a few wording tweaks, revised the draft-comment
        area

        Discussion about new input:
        Revise the paragraph, and move the example code after the paragraph that
        starts "However..." and make the sentence relate to the example that now
        follows.

        Q: How about a matching example of the markup when the element is left
        empty? Probably makes sense for it to follow the paragraph discussing
        empty elements.

        Q: What about the concern that some translators might insist on it not
        being empty? Jeff--we are changing the order to emphasize the preferred
        and then the full form response.

        Draft comment comes out, the new glossAlt example stays in.

        Jeff asked about JoAnn's "levels of nesting" comment.
        EH: If we flatten, we lose the ability to associate properties with an
        alternate term.
        Jeff agreed, was asking to make sure that was the consensus.

        Jeff: How does processing resolve keys?
        Erik explained the processing--its a general characteristic of keyref
        processing, we will capture the discussion in this document as a way to
        get it into the spec. (suggested inserting this by the gloss-group table).

        Jeff: One of the examples should show a case of a keyref where the
        abbreviation is different from the keyref.

        Kara: Like the case of car-ABS and ship-ABS (which resolve to two
        different known expansions of ABS)

        Robert will wordsmith these ideas for the revision and upload to the
        dita-translation doc page; we'll need to copy the links to the TC list to
        let them know.

        Nick: Expressed his realization that this activity has moved in the right
        direction; cross-validating on the two-way basis is a good thing.