Subject: RE: [dita] DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE -- MEETING MINUTES -- 17 AUG 2004

Sorry, the roll-call numbers should have been 14/22, not 14/28.  Just a
typo...

Seraphim

-----Original Message-----
From: Larsen, Seraphim L [mailto:seraphim.l.larsen@intel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 1:59 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita] DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE -- MEETING MINUTES -- 17 AUG
2004

DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE -- MEETING MINUTES -- 17 AUG 2004

*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes from 10 August

    3. Review/revise intro section for the initial specifications.
        - Content:
            - Latest versions:
                -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/8636/dita
spec-intro-08102004.chm
                -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/8677/dita
spec-intro-08102004.pdf

        - Schedule:
            - 17 Aug 2004
                - First major milestone -- complete first draft of
                  first section and send out for review.
                - Begin review of 1st section.
            - 07 Sep 2004
                - Complete review/revision of 1st section; begin
                  review of 2nd section.
            - 28 Sep 2004
                - Complete review/revision of 2nd section; begin
                  review of 3rd section.
            - 19 Oct 2004
                - Complete review/revision of 3rd section; beginning
                  of final review
            - 02 Nov 2004
                - Complete final review
            - 16 Nov 2004
                - Release 1.0 spec to OASIS

    4. New tasks--discuss DTD cleanup for specification, for
       example:
        - Edit and normalize formatting, comments, copyrights,
          licenses, etc..
        - Test the DTDs and Schemas
        - Test suites for conformance testing? methodologies for
          testing?
        - Implementation/interoperability tips for users, vendors

    5. Progress on remaining issues currently in discussion.
        - Namespace for DITA?
        - Which version of CALS table model?
        - Conref and XInclude?

    6. AOB?

** Minutes **
-------------
    1. Roll call
        - Members -- 14/28 >>> We have quorum.
            - Paul Grosso
            - Yas Etessam
            - Mike Wethington
            - Wendy Hambleton
            - Don Day
            - Paul Antonov
            - Mary McRae
            - Shawn Jordan
            - Eliot Kimber
            - Seraphim Larsen
            - Bruce Esrig
            - Rob Frankland
            - Stanley Doherty
            - Sharon Veach
        - Observers and visitors --
            - David Brainard
            - Erik Hennum
            - Nancy Harrison
            - Eric Sirois
            - Karl Best

    2. Review/approve minutes from 10 August
        - Some amendments captured in the TC list.
        - Action Items and Issues were reviewed.
        - Minutes approved as amended.

[...]

        - Discussion --
            - Discussion ensued about the use of the phrase
              "document type" in the specification.
                - We need to discuss this on the TC list and bring
                  it to resolution.  Erik Hennum to take this
                  action.

            - Introduction --
                - We need to clarify the term "domain".

            - MIME-type section --
                - Is this necessary?
                - Erik -- Before discussing the coverage of the MIME
                  type in the spec, shouldn't we discuss whether DITA
                  should even have a MIME type?  Is it a requirement for
                  Spec 1.0?
                - Don -- Let's ask Michael to clarify it in the spec.

            - Namespaces and identifiers --
                - Still issues to be resolved -- there's nothing here
                  yet.

            - Move "definitions and background concepts" to the top of
              the list in the introduction.  Also add the diagram that
              shows the relationship between the standard topic types.
                - Several people agree this is a good idea.

            - How to manage the source files?
                - Keep the master copy on the TC website?
                - Keep it there as a single zip file.

    4. NOT COVERED -- New tasks--discuss DTD cleanup for
       specification, for example:
        - Edit and normalize formatting, comments, copyrights,
          licenses, etc..
        - Test the DTDs and Schemas
        - Test suites for conformance testing? methodologies for
          testing?
        - Implementation/interoperability tips for users, vendors

    5. NOT COVERED -- Progress on remaining issues currently in
       discussion.
        - Namespace for DITA?
        - Which version of CALS table model?
        - Conref and XInclude?

    6. NOT COVERED -- AOB?

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------
    - Approved minutes of 10 August.

** Action Required **
---------------------
    017 Shawn Jordan -- Post to the TC list his ideas about general
        extensibility and the creation of new elements not
        necessarily descended from the Topic element. Still open
        (not an immediate deliverable -- for post-1.0).

    021 JoAnn Hackos, Michael Priestley -- Summarize the discussion
        of substitution and post to the TC list. Still pending as of
        7/20/04.

    022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo,
        as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions. Still
        pending as of 7/20/04.

    024 Eliot -- Find out exactly how to entitle the subsections
        within the two specifications (as "sub specification", or as
        "Part 1, part 2, etc.", or in some other way).
            - Eliot sent email to specification support person, but
              no response back yet. (6/29/04)
            - Also Eliot should ask if OASIS can provide any
              examples of well-written specs (in regard to content,
              not format)
            - Carl recommends that we look at the SAML spec as
              a good example.  The WSF is also a good example.
              DocBook is also in pretty good shape. (8/17/04)
            - Bruce Esrig looked at the OWL spec (Web Ontology)
              (W3C) and thought it was an excellent example.
              (Non-OASIS).  (8/17/04)
            - Closed (8/17/04)

    026 Michael -- See how Conref and XInclude contrast with SGML.
        Still pending as of 7/20/04.

    027 Erik Hennum -- Wrap up his thoughts about Conref and
        XInclude and put them on the list. Still pending as of
        8/17/04.

    036 Shawn Jordan -- Investigate where to point the DITA
        namespace -- where does the URL point? Maybe an OASIS page
        that describes what DITA does, etc.   Still pending 8/17/04.

    037 Don -- Find someone to investigate the impact on those with
        legacy content of moving from the CALS model to the HTML
        model.  Posted to TC list; closed 8/17/04.

    040 Don -- Cull the past minutes and discussion list to create
        an inventory of all the things we need to close on in order
        to create the 1.0 spec.  Create a list of these items and
        post it in the Documents area of the website.  >>> This will
        be ongoing.

    041 All -- Send comments on spec 1.0 to JoAnn this week.  >>>
        Don posted something to the list.

    042 All -- Consider need for and practicality of 2-3 day
        face-to-face meeting in late October in order to resolve
        final technical issues in advance of final editorial work.

    043 Michael Priestley -- Add a straw-man audience statement to
        the introduction.

    044 All -- Review the .chm file sent out by Michael Priestley
        located at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/8636/dita
spec-intro-08102004.chm
        and post comments to the TC list.

    045 Erik Hennum -- Start discussion on the TC list about the use
        of the phrase "document type" in the specification.

    046 Don? -- Incorporate review comments from today's discussion
        into the 1.0 draft (8/17/04).

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------
    005 All -- What should the scope and length of the conceptual
        introduction be?  >>> We'll get this from JoAnn.

    006 All -- Should DITA specialization mechanism be documented in
        a separate specification in order to make it easier to use
        in other XML applications that otherwise have no
        relationship to topic-based writing? >>> Ongoing.

    007 All -- Decide which version of the CALS table model to use
        -- either the full CALS model, or the CALS Exchange model.
        >>> On agenda for today.

<END>

Seraphim Larsen                  ICG Technical Publications
Sr. Technical Writer                      Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ

The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.