Subject: DTD Implementation VS the DITA Abstraction

It occurred to me that in my recent discussions I may have given the
impression of undervaluing the details of how the DITA DTDs and schemas
are actually constructed. I may also appear to be callous with respect
the needs of authors.

Neither is the case, it's just that we have to be careful to distinguish
the abstractions that are being standardized from the implementation
expressions of those abstractions. We also have to be careful to
understand when those concerns apply: during standardization or during
the implementation of standards-based systems.

The DITA DTDs and schemas are implementation expressions of the core
DITA abstractions.  This means that, in the abstract, there can be any
number of equivalent such implementations that are functionally
equivalent and equally useful. In particular, the DITA *standard* needs
to explicitly define a world in which there can be different but
equivalent implementations.

However, for the purposes of providing useful reference implementations
to the DITA community the implementation is very important. In this
area, the work that the IBM DITA team has already done is of vital
importance--it reflects lots of hard word, careful thought, and hard
experience.

By the same token, while most of my focus so far has been on
*processing* as opposed to authoring, authoring is of course vitally
important to creating a complete information management system that will
be used and used effectively. From an author's standpoint the key system
features are clear element type names and appropriate content models.

Thus, when defining concrete DITA *applications* (to use the terminology
I introduced in the Namespace resolution thread) the issue of element
type names and content models are of vital importance. But these are the
concerns of *applications*, not of the core DITA standard. Of course,
because the DITA standard is also defining abstract types and our
expectation is that those types will be used directly as element type
names, we can't literally be arbitrary in our choice of DITA type names.

Also, because the element type names used in DITA applications are
entirely up to the application designer and are not constrained by the
DITA specification in any way, application designers have a lot of
flexibility to do what will be best for their authors. This again means
that element type names or details such as whether or not applications
use namespace qualification need not be a direct concern to the DITA
specification itself. It will be a concern to the reference DITA
application, but I think we've already established that the only
reasonable thing we can do in the 1.0 timeframe is to do essentially
what IBM DITA does and use no namespace for element types.

Finally, many XML authoring tools provide ways to provide some form of
"alias" for element type names, meaning that the user interface exposed
to authors need not be directly constrained by the base element type names.

Of course, as an engineering principle, we want to implement things so
that the simplest systems will be as effective as they can reasonably
be, meaning that the default element type names should be well thought
out and clear, but we don't have to worry over much about the
implications for authoring because real production systems will almost
always involve a fairly large degree of customization anyway.

I think one thing that may be derailing these discussions is that the
IBM DITA developers have, appropriately, been primarily focused on
authoring because they were developing an authoring support system and
the DTDs were (and are) a key part of that system.

But the DITA standard is *not* primarily an authoring support system. It
is a generic standard that defines core types and processing semantics
that in turn provides a solid basis from which task-specific authoring
support systems can be built. That's a key difference and requires a
sometimes subtle shift in emphasis of requirements and features.

I think it comes down to this:

DTDs and schemas are, primarily, system components that support
authoring and are important primarily in the context of authoring
support systems. Processing systems don't care at all about DTDs except
to the degree that they need either markup minimization (default
attribute values) or require that documents pass a validation gate. But
even for validation DTDs and schemas are either only part of the
solution or can be completely replaced by validation applications (which
you have to have if you must support schema-less documents). So
ultimately you come to the conclusion that DTDs and schemas primarily
support authoring and are at best a convenience for the rest of the
system (and at worst an impediment because they have to be accounted for
even when they aren't needed).

Because standardized DITA must, by the nature of standards, be primarily
a processing and interchange standard (because authoring is always
localized), it means that the focus of the standard will not be on the
details of DTDs but on the abstract structures and business rules the
DTDs are implementation expressions of.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen