Subject: RE: [dita] Re: Comparison between DITA and S1000D

Eliot,

Are you suggesting a decoupling of DITA into two parts:
1) Topic-oriented vocabulary
2) Specialization-based mechanism

If that is the case, may I recast John's enumeration of the key
distinguishing characteristics of DITA as follows:
1) For topic-oriented vocabulary, one could potentially use existing
DITA information type & domain to model
   all of the S1000D:
   a) Information types (e.g., Description, Procedural, Maintenance
schedules, Fault Isolation,
      Crew/operators, and IPD)
   b) Domain vocabularies (e.g., loading/off-loading procedures,
munitions descriptions, safety, emergency,
      etc.)
2) For specialization-based mechanism, one could reap the following
benefits:
   a) Specialization with a fallback
   b) Processing reuse

As John said: "Modeling all of the details of S1000D with DITA topic and
domain specializations would be a
large task," are you suggesting that one could potentially reap the
benefits of the second without doing
the first?

Am I interpreting your comments correctly?

Thanks,

Scott