Subject: Re: [dita] containment (was: Containers for steps and other elements!?)

Hi, Eliot and Committee Members:

As part of the bookmark for discussing the containment issue after DITA 1.0, I'd like to include the persective in

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200408/msg00098.html

In particular, the points about the important benefits

* Of a topic architecture for enabling reuse of content through granular designs (keeping internal topic structure relatively flat, keeping topics relatively small, and using topic nesting for containment).

* Of a shared base not only for content interchange but for shared designs and tooling.

That's not to disagree that the specialization architecture should be usable in problem spaces where content can't be modeled as a topic architecture. I'd encourage comment on this first pass at distinguishing the specialization architecture from the topic type architecture:

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200408/msg00097.html

I would suggest that the design question of whether the content could be modeled with a topic architecture should come before the practical constraints that limit adoption of a topic architecture (for instance, the inability to move off an existing vocabulary). It's important to recognize compromises for what they are.

While advocating that DITA retain topic architecture in its core mandate, I'd agree that one of the really interesting questions to look at after DITA 1.0 will be the ways in which specialization can be enhanced to give the designer more flexibility while retaining the core benefits of reuse and shared designs and tooling.

Hoping that's interesting,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com