Subject: RE: [dita] proposal on "vocabulary" terminology

My overnight thoughts led to "type vocabulary".

"Vocabulary" is attractive because of the connotations that Robin mentioned.

vocabulary - a collection of related terms for describing a subject matter area

Any type system includes notions of (a) how to identify the things and
(b) which things are significantly different. Each element type is identified
by its name, and distinguished from other element types by its internal structure.

The element types are the individuals that are being collected into a vocabulary.
The names of the element types are the names that enter the vocabulary,
and the structures of the element types are the semantics for the names.

What we are building when we combine type modules is a vocabulary
based primarily on element types. These are the most common types
in DITA, and are the ones we mean when we casually say "type".
So we are building a vocabulary of types, or "type vocabulary".

The next question is whether to call it that!

If "vocabulary" is an elliptical way of saying "type vocabulary", and
we all understand the derivation of the term the same way,
then "vocabulary" would suffice.

Regarding "document type", I would argue that this is a misleading term.
It's a fragile argument, but I'll try it anyway.

Documents are at the instance level. A type vocabulary is at the type level.

A type vocabulary provides types for elements. The element types tell you
what the legal structure of an element instance is. It is the ensemble
of element instances that make up a document instance.
But the document instance doesn't have a corresponding
complex type, with all the structure that the document instance has.
That complex type is constructed implicitly when a typechecker
verifies that a document instance is valid. If anything, that would
be the document type.

The type vocabulary is a collection of element types, and that is the thing we are looking for a name for. If the collection needs to be viewed as grammatical system, we might introduce a further term, such as "vocabulary system" or "grammar".

One of the strengths of DITA compared with a more mechanistic view of XML and what it can do for you is the emphasis in the DITA architecture on a precise understanding of types and modules. For this reason, where the DITA point of view necessarily differs from that of the larger community, I'd rather offer and argue in favor of the DITA point of view than adopt an external precedent without discussion.

Bruce Esrig