Subject: Should <keyword> be allowed to nest?

The keyword element is available in many more contexts now to give greater flexibility in using it as a text entity replacement via conref. IBM authors have requested that the element be allowed to nest so as to allow "compound symbols" to be defined for conrefing into titles, paragraphs, basically any context that allows text.

There are of course balancing considerations:

- keyword was intended to represent "keyword" strings that have the property of inviolate content, therefore the content can be used as if an enumerated value for lookup. Enabling compound conref resolution within a keyword would compromise this property.

- compound symbols are not always appropriate for translation since they represent word orders that might need to be changed in different grammars depending on context.

- nothing precludes the use of XInclude as a workaround, but the question is specific to an all-DITA processing architecture. Somehow, I don't think XInclude is necessarily any simpler. And the same cautions about compound symbols still apply.

Is this requirement compelling enough to merit consideration for 1.0, or is this a post 1.0 issue?

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee