Subject: RE: [dita] otherprops syntax - should we specify?

I'll add my two cents worth here, although I have not coded anything using
DITA. Users want conditional that are both easy to use and powerful. I
cannot tell from the discussion if DITA conditionals support any type of
Boolean logic but they will need to in version 2.0, if not now. At the
simplest, users want to define three conditions and be able to make a
selection of two which seems possible currently. However, making a condition
based on a NOT does not seem to be accommodated. If I am way off base, I
apologize in advance.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: W. Eliot Kimber [mailto:ekimber@innodata-isogen.com]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 1:56 PM
To: Christopher Wong
Cc: DITA TC list

Christopher Wong wrote:

> Does anyone else know what other people do with otherprops?

I would think that any non-trivial use of DITA that needs to account for
business-specific conditionality would quickly find the DITA-supplied
conditions insufficient. Therefore I would assume that almost *any* use
of DITA that needed conditionality would require additional condition
types and valuds.

This would certainly be the case for any client I'm likely to have that
wanted to implement a DITA-based XML application.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen
9390 Research Blvd, #410