Subject: RE: [dita] Catalog files as part of the submission?

There's extra maintenance if you need to keeping the spec synchronized with the catalog.

My two cents is that the spec should direct users to the catalog files for information on mapping public ids and could just provide an example of how system or public identifiers could be used to identify DITA instances.

- Yas Etessam

From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 8:49 AM
To: Christopher Wong
Cc: DITA TC list; Don Day

If we provide the catalog, do we still need to document the identifiers in the spec, or does the catalog just become part of the spec? IE, can the spec document proper simply refer to the catalog as one of the accompanying documents, without repeating its contents?

Michael Priestley
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
Dept PRG IBM Canada  phone: 416-915-8262
Toronto Information Development

Christopher Wong <cwong@idiominc.com>

01/24/2005 11:46 AM

Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
cc
DITA TC list <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
Re: [dita] Catalog files as part of the submission?

Don Day wrote:

> Are catalog files (both text and OASIS XML forms) necessarily part of
> the DTD/Schema submission for the proposed Committee Draft? If so,
> I'll add them to the "dtd/schema" package after we update the public
> identifiers. I do not think they are normative, but I could be
> convinced to include them. I think they tend to be
> application-specific and merely encode information that is already in
> the DTDs. However, it is tremendously useful for them to be present in
> a distribution so that users can configure their local lookups.

Since the DITA DTDs are themselves using public IDs (external parameter
entities), I think it makes sense to provide catalogs for the lookups.

Chris