Subject: MEETING MINUTES -- 01 Feb 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES -- 01 Feb 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes from 25 January
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200501/msg00066.html

    3. Status of remaining contingent items:
        - 051 Update Lang Ref for @scale
        - 069 List of modules that have a revised PI (covered last
week?)
        - 070 Namespace names for DTDs and agendas (covered last week?)
        - 075 Contact McRae for OASIS string for PIs
        - 077 Prepare DTDs and Schemas (format)

    4. Review the TC Specification process:
        -
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#standards_approval
        - Committee Draft (open period--over when we are ready)
            - signals close of a development cycle
            - 2/3s of TC voting, no more than 1/4 disapproval
            - Inform OASIS Administration
            - can be several review/ballot cycles (conformance to
              OASIS templates, integration of parts)
        - Public Review (1 month total time to exit)
            - initiate by majority vote of the TC
            - announce to members list, other public lists; 30 days
              (can start at any time)
            - review again if substantive changes; re-approve as CD
              before submission to OASIS
        - Member Approval (1 month total time to exit)
            - prepare checklist, transmittal materials
            - in by 15th of the month; decision to proceed by end of
              month
            - in Member review for 15 days; in vote for next 15 days
            - Becomes immediate Standard if at least 15% pro votes,
              no nay votes (other qualifications)

        - "Committee Specification" was part of old OASIS
          process--signal of readiness for use

    5. Assessment: readiness for Committee Draft
        - Core Specification status
        - DTD/Schema status
        - Language Reference

    6. If in consent to do so, do the first CD vote.

    7. AOB?

** Minutes **
-------------
    1. Roll call
        - We have 13/20 --> QUORUM

    2. Review/approve minutes from 25 January
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200501/msg00066.html
        - Minutes approved by acclamation.

    3. Status of remaining contingent items:
        - 051 Update Lang Ref for @scale
            - DONE.
            - Don added a paragraph to the attribute description for
              @scale in the language reference.

        - 069 List of modules that have a revised PI (covered last
week?)
            - CLOSED.

        - 070 Namespace names for DTDs and agendas (covered last week?)
            - Pending -- Don and Eric Sirois will apply the
              committee's decision to the Schemas and DTD

        - 075 Contact McRae for OASIS string for PIs
            - Pending

        - 077 Prepare DTDs and Schemas (format)
            - Lots of discussion about whether to use verbose
              comments within the DTDs/Schemas, or to pull it out
              and keep it in one place (language reference).
            - It was decided to take the discussion offline to the
              mailing list.
            - Action Required for Deborah Lapeyre -- Apply the
              consensus decision to the next round of edited DTDs

    4. Review the TC Specification process:
        -
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#standards_approval
        - Discussion -- Can we have this ready for voting on
          next week?

    5. Assessment: readiness for Committee Draft
        - No time -- will continue here next meeting

    6. If in consent to do so, do the first CD vote.
        - No time -- will continue here next meeting

    7. AOB?
        - No time for this

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------
    - None

** Action Required **
---------------------
  *** NOTE: Action Items and Issues to be Resolved required for the
            1.0 spec are marked with ">>>".

    022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo,
        as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions.  Still
        pending as of 7/20/04.

    051 055 Don Day, 9/7/04 -- Take the discussion of @scale
        attribute and related issues to the list (presentation
        mechanisms). (merge with next...)  >>> 1/25/05 -- Don will
        update the language reference to include this discussion.
        >>> 2/1/05 -- Don added a paragraph to the attribute
        description for @scale in the language reference.  CLOSED.

    062 Eric Sirois, 10/05/04 -- provide XSLT validation for
        specialized schemas once developed (Indi recommends Jarno to
        work with him) >>> 1/25/05 -- this will be an ongoing
        project; the 1.0 spec does not depend on this.

>>> 069 Don will provide a list of each of the modules that have
        a revised pi.   >>> 1/25/05 -- Still open, it is in the
        1/25/05 agenda.  >>> 2/1/05 -- CLOSED.

>>> 070 Erik please put together proposal for Ns for dtds and
        modules (if necessary) for Michael.  >>> 1/25/05 -- This is
        also in the 1/25/05 agenda.   >>> 2/1/05 -- Don added
        a paragraph to the attribute description for @scale in the
        language reference.

>>> 075 Don, 1/18/05 -- Contact Mary Macrae to get the proper OASIS
        string to put into public identifiers. >>> 1/25/05 in
        progress.  The 1.0 draft does depend on this!  >>> 2/1/05
        -- Still pending.

>>> 077 Don, 1/25/05 -- Ask Deborah Lapeyre if the DTDs and Schemas
        will be ready for voting next week.

NEW 078 Deborah Lapeyre, 2/1/05 -- Take discussion of DTD comments
        to the list, and apply the consensus decision to the next
        round of edited DTDs.

    079 (placeholder for next)

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------
  *** NOTE: Action Items and Issues to be Resolved required for the
            1.0 spec are marked with ">>>".

>>> 006 All -- Should DITA specialization mechanism be documented in
        a separate specification in order to make it easier to use
        in other XML applications that otherwise have no
        relationship to topic-based writing?  >>> Ongoing.  >>>
        11/30/04: - add to spec issues list

    009 "Best Practices" document -- Let's put this on the agenda
        for future discussion.

    010 Relationship between DITA and other topic-based
        architectures (such as S1000D) -- Need to incorporate this
        into the "Best Practices" document.

    012 (placeholder for next)

<END>

Seraphim Larsen                  ICG Technical Publications
Technical Writer                          Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ

The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.