Subject: MEETING MINUTES -- 08 Feb 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES -- 08 Feb 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes from 01 February
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200502/msg00009.html

    3. Assessment: readiness for Committee Draft
        - Core Specification status
        - DTD/Schema status
        - Language Reference

    4. If in consent to do so, do the first CD vote.

    5. If in consent to do so, approve the CD for public review.

    6. AOB?

** Minutes **
-------------

    1. Roll call
        - 12/19 -> QUORUM

    2. Review/approve minutes from 01 February
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200502/msg00009.html
        - Minutes approved by acclamation

    3. Assessment: readiness for Committee Draft (CD)
        - Core Specification status
        - DTD/Schema status
        - Language Reference

        - There were several questions / contingent issues --
            - Can we vote on these drafts in the form they are
              currently in?  Is this the final form?  Are there
              formatting issues that need to be fixed?
            - There are some comments in certain places that don't
              seem appropriate.  We will vote on the drafts
              contingent upon the removal of these comments.
            - Will there be a .chm version of the files?

    4. If in consent to do so, do the first CD vote.
            - VOTE RESULTS -- We have approval by 13 of 19 --
              unanimous.  WE HAVE A COMMITTEE DRAFT!  However, note
              the contigencies listed above.

    5. If in consent to do so, approve the CD for public review.
            - We plan to provide the following versions --
                    - HTML Web
                    - HTML Help
                    - PDF
            - It was moved and seconded to approve for public
              review, with the source corrections as requested.
            - VOTE RESULTS -- We have approval by 13 of 19 --
              unanimous, with the source corrections as requested.

    6. AOB?
            - How do we manage incoming comments resulting from the
              public review?
                    - Someone needs to figure out how the public can
                      submit comments.  AR for Don to ask Mary
                      Macrae about all these things.
                    - It would be best if every input we get must
                      receive a response and be tracked.  Thus we
                      need a single focal point for receiving
                      comments.
                    - Recommendation -- All comments to be
                      forwarded to the TC Comments list, and also to
                      be CC'd to Michael Priestley.

            - Let's take a vacation next week.  :)
                    - Any questions/issues, use the TC list.

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------
    - We approved the committee draft (CD).

    - We approved the CD for public review.

    - We will take a vacation and not meet on 2/15.

** Action Required **
---------------------
  *** NOTE: Action Items and Issues to be Resolved required for the
            1.0 spec are marked with ">>>".

    022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo,
        as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions.  Still
        pending as of 7/20/04.

    062 Eric Sirois, 10/05/04 -- provide XSLT validation for
        specialized schemas once developed (Indi recommends Jarno to
        work with him) >>> 1/25/05 -- this will be an ongoing
        project; the 1.0 spec does not depend on this.

>>> 070 Erik please put together proposal for Ns for dtds and
        modules (if necessary) for Michael.  >>> 1/25/05 -- This is
        also in the 1/25/05 agenda.   >>> 2/1/05 -- Don added
        a paragraph to the attribute description for @scale in the
        language reference.  >>> 2/8/05 -- CLOSED.

>>> 075 Don, 1/18/05 -- Contact Mary Macrae to get the proper OASIS
        string to put into public identifiers. >>> 1/25/05 in
        progress.  The 1.0 draft does depend on this!  >>> 2/1/05
        -- Still pending.  >>> 2/8/05 -- CLOSED.

>>> 077 Don, 1/25/05 -- Ask Deborah Lapeyre if the DTDs and Schemas
        will be ready for voting next week.  >>> 2/8/05 -- CLOSED.

    078 Deborah Lapeyre, 2/1/05 -- Take discussion of DTD comments
        to the list, and apply the consensus decision to the next
        round of edited DTDs.  >>> 2/8/05 -- CLOSED.

>>> 079 Don Day, 2/8/05 -- Ask Mary Macrae about several issues --
            - How can the public submit comments on the CD?  Can we
              get a mailing list set up?  etc.
            - What are the constraints for the final format of the
              CD?

>>> 080 All, 2/8/05 -- Remove comments from the CD.

>>> 081 All, 2/8/05 -- Will there be a .chm version of the CD files?

    082 placeholder for next

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------
  *** NOTE: Action Items and Issues to be Resolved required for the
            1.0 spec are marked with ">>>".

    006 All -- Should DITA specialization mechanism be documented in
        a separate specification in order to make it easier to use
        in other XML applications that otherwise have no
        relationship to topic-based writing?  >>> Ongoing.  >>>
        11/30/04: - add to spec issues list >>> CLOSED 2/8/05

    009 "Best Practices" document -- Let's put this on the agenda
        for future discussion.

    010 Relationship between DITA and other topic-based
        architectures (such as S1000D) -- Need to incorporate this
        into the "Best Practices" document.

>>> 012 All, 2/8/05 -- Decide how to manage incoming comments
        resulting from the Public Review of the Committee Draft.

    013 placeholder for next

<END>

Seraphim Larsen                  ICG Technical Publications
Technical Writer                          Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ

The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.