Subject: RE: [dita] Keywords in DITA

I agree with Don's analysis of index terms. My thought it that one should be equally carefully, albeit in one dimension, with keywords. Too often authors randomly select keywords to associate with topics. We recommend a controlled vocabulary.

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
http://www.comtech-serv.com

From: Don Day [mailto:dond@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 4:51 PM
To: JoAnn Hackos
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

I also find that indexterms represent structured metadata, which non-nesting keywords cannot do. In this regard, index structures represent access paths to information that are carefully crafted to represent how readers think of the data... you want to increase the ability of the user to find a term, therefore your primary and secondary choices might well be colloquial, which balances imprecision against discoverability. Keywords do not have this luxury, being tokens with specific intent in the domain of the topic or information system that they document.

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

--T.S. Eliot
Inactive hide details for "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>"JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

          "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

          03/08/2005 05:40 PM

"Paul Prescod" <paul.prescod@blastradius.com>, "Esrig, Bruce \(Bruce\)" <esrig@lucent.com>

cc

<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Michael Priestley" <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com>

Subject

RE: [dita] Keywords in DITA

I would assume that index terms would be used to build what is commonly referred to as a "back of the book" index for print or supply the terms for the Index tab typical of help systems. Keywords typically are based upon a taxonomic analysis of subject matter and should be selected from a standardized list to avoid confusion. Keywords chiefly feed search systems, although many search systems are configured to look at full text or metadata rather than keywords. Organizations often use the "keyword" element in HTML to attempt to influence search systems.