Subject: RE: [dita] Proposed revision for the keyword definition (was Keyw ords inDITA)

For comparison/voting, here's what's in the draft of the spec I'm about to upload:

Specialized elements derived from <keyword> may also have extended processing, such as different formatting or automatic indexing. If the keyref attribute is used, or some other method of key-based lookup based on the value of the element itself, then the keyword can be turned into a hyperlink on output (not currently supported).

When DITA topics are output to XHTML, any <keyword> elements in the <keywords> element are placed in the Web page metadata.

Michael Priestley
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

"Esrig, Bruce (Bruce)" <esrig@lucent.com>

03/15/2005 10:57 AM

dita@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
RE: [dita] Proposed revision for the keyword definition (was Keyw        ords in DITA)

Here is some updated text for consideration.

Bruce

========

The <keyword> element and its specializations are used to mark a word or compound word with special meaning in a particular domain. For special treatment of phrases, see <ph>.

indicate the subject of the topic. This information is intended to help an author classify and identify a topic, which can be used for search and retrieval applications and other applications such as flagging.

In the body of a topic, the <keyword> element delimits words and compound words that also appear within the text of the topic.

In either context, the preferred
approach is to use a specialization of <keyword>. The specializations have special semantics associated with them. In the body of a topic, the specializations can be processed with special formatting in the output. If no appropriate specialization has been created, the author can use the outputclass attribute to indicate the semantic scope.