Subject: RE: [dita] @frame and <simpletable>

Exactly so, Paul.  For the CALS table, frame is only for the external
rules, while colsep and rowsep are used to set the rules inside the table.

For simpletable, where the only control for rules is @frame, IBM's
implementation of the attribute manages both external and internal rules
through this mapping:
 - frame=none, the simple table gets no rules
 - frame=sides, all vertical rules (internal and external) and internal
horizontal rules are printed
 - frame=topbot, you get all horizontal rules and internal vertical rules

I don't have access to the other mappings at the moment, but I think the
remaining values could be interpreted thus:
 - top and bottom indicate single rules at the appropriate location (no
internal rules)
 - frame=all turns on all rules, internal and external.

Keep in mind that the content of simpletable is a good candidate for
alternative output presentation as well, such as a fielded display with a
control to step through the data by row or by column (depending on the
keycol attribute value).

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

        --T.S. Eliot

             "Paul Grosso"
             <pgrosso@arbortex
             t.com>                                                     To
                                       "Christopher Wong"
             03/21/2005 01:14          <cwong@idiominc.com>, "DITA TC
             PM                        list" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita] @frame and <simpletable>

Given that DITA is basically using the CALS table model,
you can find more info about the semantics of the CALS
table model elements and attributes at
http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/tm9502.html
Some may find the writeup for the Exchange subset of
the CALS model easier to read:
http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/tr9503.html
(the semantics are pretty much the same except for
differences made necessary by the subsetting).

The frame attribute only affects the outer rules.

paul