Subject: MEETING MINUTES -- 29 Mar 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES -- 29 Mar 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes from 22 March:
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200503/msg00109.html
        - (note: on scope definition for pre 2.0 activities, would
          we not have meant "backwards-compatible design changes"
          rather than "forward-compatible?")

    3. Requirements gathering:
        - Brainstorm: Input from our respective contacts
        - Input from the past minutes

    4.  AOB

** Minutes **
-------------
    1. Roll call
        - We do have a quorum.

    2. Review/approve minutes from 22 March:
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200503/msg00109.html
        - CHANGES --
            - Instead of using the email address provided by Chris
              Kravogel for providing DITA comments.  Instead of
              that, we should use the DITA Comments interface.
            - (note: on scope definition for pre 2.0 activities,
              would we not have meant "backwards-compatible design
              changes" rather than "forward-compatible?")
                - DITA 1.0 is a stable release, but we will be
                  making changes in 2.0 that will not be backward
                  compatible and will require transformation.
                - But the correction to the minutes pertains to
                  pre-2.0 work.  So yes, we should change it to
                  "backwards-compatible".  We want to make sure 1.x
                  is backwards-compatible with the current DITA user
                  base.
        - Minutes, as appended above, approved by acclamation.

    3. New TC Role -- DTD and Schema Maintainer
        - Michael Priestley suggested that we add this new role.
        - Michael proposes that Robert Anderson be the DTD and
          Schema Maintainer.  However, Robert is neither a Member
          nor an Observer.  So, how do we do that?
            - Perhaps Michael (as Editor) could have the formal
              role, and delegate as needed?
            - Proposal -- Michael Priestley to be given the
              role of Editor and DTD/Schema Maintainer, as the
              single point of contact for these roles.
            - Proposal accepted by acclamation.

        - Also, we need to ask JoAnn if she wants to continue
          in her role as co-editor with Michael Priestley.

    4. Requirements gathering:
        - Brainstorm: Input from our respective contacts
                - See Eliot's email --

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/200503/
msg00113.html
        - Input from the past minutes
                - See Chris Kravogel's list at

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/email/archives/200503/
msg00112.html
                - Comments:  The "Keyword" issue (item 1 on Chris'
                  email) should be expanded to (a) Semantics and (b)
                  Nesting.
                - Chris should also add the rest of Michael's issues
                  to the list of issues, which Michael emailed to
                  the TC List.
        - What criteria do we use?
                - Don read a list of possible "triage" criteria,
                  which he asked everyone to think about.  We'll
                  revisit this next week to come up with a final
                  list.

    5.  AOB

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------
    - Michael Priestley to be given the role of Editor and
      DTD/Schema Maintainer, as the single point of contact for
      these tasks.

** Action Required **
---------------------
    022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo,
        as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions.  Still
        pending as of 7/20/04.

    062 Eric Sirois, 10/05/04 -- provide XSLT validation for
        specialized schemas once developed (Indi recommends Jarno to
        work with him) >>> 1/25/05 -- this will be an ongoing
        project; the 1.0 spec does not depend on this.

    079 Don Day, 2/8/05 -- Ask Mary Macrae about several issues --
            - How can the public submit comments on the CD?  Can we
              get a mailing list set up?  etc.
            - What are the constraints for the final format of the
              CD?

    080 All, 2/8/05 -- Remove comments from the CD.

    081 All, 2/8/05 -- Will there be a .chm version of the CD files?

    082 All, 3/8/05 -- Submit comments to Michael Priestley on the
        Architecture Specification.

    085 Michael Priestley, 3/15/05 -- provide the HTML format as
        part of the spec (to be done after the submission).

    086 Who?, 3/15/05 -- Need to submit the committee draft 2 to the
        OASIS administration for approval.

    087 3/29/05 -- Ask JoAnn Hackos if she wants to continue
        in her role as co-Editor with Michael Priestley.

    088 Chris Kravogel, 3/29/05 -- Expand "Keyword" issue (on the
        Issues List) to (A) Semantics and (B) Nesting.

    089 Chris Kravogel, 3/29/05 -- Add the rest of Michael's issues
        to the Issues List (which Michael sent by email to the TC
        List).

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------
    006 All -- Should DITA specialization mechanism be documented in
        a separate specification in order to make it easier to use
        in other XML applications that otherwise have no
        relationship to topic-based writing?  >>> Ongoing.  >>>
        11/30/04: - add to spec issues list >>> CLOSED 2/8/05

    009 "Best Practices" document -- Let's put this on the agenda
        for future discussion.

    010 Relationship between DITA and other topic-based
        architectures (such as S1000D) -- Need to incorporate this
        into the "Best Practices" document.

    012 All, 2/8/05 -- Decide how to manage incoming comments
        resulting from the Public Review of the Committee Draft.

    013 Need volunteer to find mentions of "post 1.0" deferred items
        -- need to rank by priority and difficulty) solid things for
        1.1; medium effort design work candidates for 1.2; big items
        for 2.0 in minutes (3/8/05).

    014 (3/29/05) Need list of possible "triage" criteria for deciding
how to
        prioritize new requirements.  Don read a list of possible
        criteria at the 3/29/05 meeting.  To be discussed and
        resolved at the next meeting.

    015 (placeholder for next)

<END>