Subject: RE: [dita] Our website @ OASIS

France, thanks for raising this question.  I'd like the TC to consider some
things as we work to a consensus on how/whether to migrate the dita-users
support list.

It is certainly advantageous to OASIS to move the dita-users list from
Yahoo to the OASIS site for hosting.  There are now over 200 users on the
Yahoo mailing list, and many of them are active DITA users or followers in
our sponsor companies.  We want to encourage them to find all their DITA
support and extended community in one place.  For example, our charter
expects that specialization activity will be hosted by OASIS and be
published through the OASIS XML registry.

To make this "migration" (or isn't it really a "graduation?") to OASIS
really pay off, we should support this move through the use of DITA
authoring and sourcing techniques if at all possible.  One such way to do
this is to provide a "DITA Wiki" at OASIS that actually uses DITA maps for
managing the navigation and DITA topics as the source for the
rendered-on-demand Wiki topics.  Such a scheme is certainly possible--there
is already a similar project in the works for DocBook (see
http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/ ).

The advantage for OASIS and for the DITA TC is that such an implementation
would do far more than just provide a Wiki-based community for current
dita-users.  It would in fact be a very visible demonstration of the value
of DITA for organizing and managing topic-oriented content, and serve as a
testbed for a number of intriguing future possibilities with DITA:

 - Demonstrate collaborative authoring in a Wiki environment

 - Demonstrate browser-based authoring tools with the traditional
user-friendly Wiki interface (or using common WikiText styling conventions)

 - Demonstrate that DITA as part of the architecture actually helps
liberate content for other reuse (imagine developing a book via Wiki
collaboration and then outputting it to a PDF--not an easy option for
HTML-based Wiki content)

 - Help organize some of our debate or best practices through team
contribution with simultaneous public review and comment

  - Demonstrate that OASIS architectures along with Open Source
technologies can create a sustainable commerce of Structured Information
(the IS in OASIS!)

And many more... let the ideas come forth!

So I propose to Mary McRae and the OASIS administration that they seriously
consider hosting such a DITA Wiki but investigate going further and
extending resources like the DocBookWiki project (with the DITA Open
Toolkit as our processing engine under the server) as very public and
effective demos of dynamic DITA authoring and publishing.

In this regard, providing an OASIS dita-users list is still good and should
be done, but I think the impetus to help our Yahoo community make that
transition (er, graduation) would be to have this DITAWiki up and running
first.

So, Mary, can we do it? And when? I think we've got plenty of smarts among
our own TC members and sponsor companies to help make this happen much
sooner than later, considering the state of the art.  I'm willing to pitch
in!

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

        --T.S. Eliot

             "France Baril"
             <France.Baril@ixi
             asoft.com>                                                 To
                                       <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>, "DITA
             04/05/2005 02:30          TC list"
             PM                        <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita] Our website @ OASIS

Dita-users : How do we migrate? Will we need a transition period?

Don, is this something we want to discuss at the next meeting?