Subject: MEETING MINUTES -- 19 Apr 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES -- 19 Apr 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    Main things for today:
     - TC administrivia
     - Resume review of "post 1.0" requirements for public review.

    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes from 5 April (no meeting 12 April):
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200504/msg00036.html

    3. Discuss different meeting day/time for next phase

    4. CD in ballot for your organization's primary representative:
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200504/msg00009.html

    5. Resume review of "post 1.0" requirements for public review.

    6. More on "OASIS Website" thread?

    7. More on "Marketing/Press relations" thread?

    8. AOB

** Minutes **
-------------
    Main things for today:
     - TC administrivia
     - Resume review of "post 1.0" requirements for public review.

    1. Roll call
        - We do have quorum!

    2. Review/approve minutes from 5 April (no meeting 12 April):
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200504/msg00036.html
        - Minutes approved by acclamation.

    3. Discuss different meeting day/time for next phase
        - Decision: No change

    4. CD in ballot for your organization's primary representative:
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200504/msg00009.html
        - Find the rep for your group in the list of voting members
          referenced in the URL above.  It's important to get that
          person to register a vote for DITA.
        - See this link --
            -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200504/msg00007.html
        - If you follow the ballot link, it will show you what votes
          have been cast so far.  The link is copied here for
          convenience --
            -
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/ballot.php?id=746

    5. Resume review of "post 1.0" requirements for public review.
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/12127/DIT
A-TC-1dot1issues-1.htm
        - Continuing with number 29
        - Issue 29 -- Extensible metadata attributes
                - Identical to item 47
                - Full solution is probably a 2.0 issue, since it
                  may cause backwards-compatibility issues
                - But can we do something for 1.1?
                    - Priestley -- yes we need to do something
                    - Day -- shall we make a recommendation on how
                      to create values?
                    - Priestley -- no, that's already in the 1.0
                      spec.  There is a real need to add new
                      attributes.  That doesn't mean we should add
                      the ability to add *any* metadata, because
                      that would go outside of scope.
                    - No disagreement -- we'll keep for 1.1.
        - Issue 30 -- Formal "component" or "fragment" element
          specially designed as source content for CONREF.
                - I couldn't capture the discussion.
                - This is more a best-practice issue for content
                  reuse.  As such, yes we can include it in the
                  scope for 1.1.
                - So, we'll keep it with a new name -- Best practice
                  for content reuse.
        - Issue 31 -- Side-by-side implementation of xml:id?
                - I couldn't capture the discussion.
                - Let's keep it on the list for 1.1 and keep
                  discussing it.
        - Issue 32 -- Should <refsyn> be moved to a domain, e.g.
          Programming or Software?
                - This is a change to a topic-level specification
                - Again, couldn't capture the discussion.
                - This item is dependent on item 39.
                - Item 39 needs to be done in order for this one to
                  be done.
                - So, whether we accept #32, depends on whether we
                  accept #39.
        - Issue 33 -- DATA element
                - Erik Hennum -- Extensible addition of values with
                  a semantic but particular processing instructions
                  associated with it.
                        - For example, metadata values
                        - Or hybrid data-and-discourse documents,
                          such as an insurance claim form
                - Priestley -- You sometimes want to keep the data
                  there in the document, but hide it from the
                  human-readable output.
                - Day -- 1.1 scope item?  Or too ambitious and move
                  to 2.0?
                - Priestley -- Shouldn't take much to implement.
                  Will appear everywhere "keyword" exists.  It's
                  optional everywhere, so it will not have any
                  backward-compatibility issues.
                - Day -- No other discussion, so we'll keep this for
                  the 1.1 spec.  Need more explanation though.
        - Issue 34 -- Support for foreign content vocabularies such
          as MathML and SVG
                - It's been on the list for the past two weeks
                - Hennum -- This element gives us the ability to
                  have inline objects.  It's not appropriate, for
                  example, to specialize <unknown> to include
                  text-based content.  The idea is to be able to
                  ignore the <unknown> element and use replacement
                  text instead.
                - Day -- Any reasons to exclude from 1.1?
                - No reasons, so we'll keep for 1.1.
        - Issue 35 -- Extensible metadata by expressing data in map
          structures
                - Seems to be in scope for 1.1, so we'll keep it for
                  1.1.
        - Issue 36 -- Reconciling topic <link> and map <topicref>
          elements
                - Hennum -- This can create problems for
                  specialization because you have to specialize for
                  both sides.
                - Priestley -- Concerned that it might take a lot to
                  support the transforms for this
                - Day -- Is it too much for 1.1?
                - Priestley -- Not sure
                - Day -- Move to post-1.1?
                - Hennum -- Creates specialization issues, but can
                  live with it.
                - Keep for 1.1, but identify it as high-risk, maybe
                  drop later -- possibly high risk, high cost (for
                  the transform)
        - Issue 37 -- bookmap / bkinfo revision
                - Keep for 1.1
        - Issue 38 -- Policy-based style mechanism
                - Dependent on issue 37
                - Day -- probably too much to do this and 37 both in
                  the 1.1 spec
                - Keep for 1.1
        - Issue 39 -- Integration of domain elements with structural
          elements of the topic
                - Hennum -- No impact to existing content
                - Related to issue 46
                - Keep for 1.1 -- let's at least look at it for 1.1
        - We'll continue next week with Issue 40.
                - We need to finish this list by the end of the
                  month!

    6. More on "OASIS Website" thread?
        - Not covered -- no time

    7. More on "Marketing/Press relations" thread?
        - Not covered -- no time

    8. AOB
        - Not covered -- no time

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------
    - Decided to keep the meeting at the same weekly timeslot.
    - Decided on the 1.1 issues list -- Issues 29-39 -- see details
      in minutes, above.

** Action Required **
---------------------
    022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo,
        as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions.  Still
        pending as of 7/20/04.

    062 Eric Sirois, 10/05/04 -- provide XSLT validation for
        specialized schemas once developed (Indi recommends Jarno to
        work with him) >>> 1/25/05 -- this will be an ongoing
        project; the 1.0 spec does not depend on this.

    079 Don Day, 2/8/05 -- Ask Mary Macrae about several issues --
            - How can the public submit comments on the CD?  Can we
              get a mailing list set up?  etc.
            - What are the constraints for the final format of the
              CD?

    080 All, 2/8/05 -- Remove comments from the CD.

    081 All, 2/8/05 -- Will there be a .chm version of the CD files?

    082 All, 3/8/05 -- Submit comments to Michael Priestley on the
        Architecture Specification.

    085 Michael Priestley, 3/15/05 -- provide the HTML format as
        part of the spec (to be done after the submission).

    086 Who?, 3/15/05 -- Need to submit the committee draft 2 to the
        OASIS administration for approval.

    087 3/29/05 -- Ask JoAnn Hackos if she wants to continue
        in her role as co-Editor with Michael Priestley.

    088 Chris Kravogel, 3/29/05 -- Expand "Keyword" issue (on the
        Issues List) to (A) Semantics and (B) Nesting.  CLOSED
        4/5/05.

    089 Chris Kravogel, 3/29/05 -- Add the rest of Michael's issues
        to the Issues List (which Michael sent by email to the TC
        List).  CLOSED 4/5/05.

    090 (placeholder)

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------
    009 "Best Practices" document -- Let's put this on the agenda
        for future discussion.

    010 Relationship between DITA and other topic-based
        architectures (such as S1000D) -- Need to incorporate this
        into the "Best Practices" document.

    012 All, 2/8/05 -- Decide how to manage incoming comments
        resulting from the Public Review of the Committee Draft.

    013 Need volunteer to find mentions of "post 1.0" deferred items
        -- need to rank by priority and difficulty) solid things for
        1.1; medium effort design work candidates for 1.2; big items
        for 2.0 in minutes (3/8/05).

    014 (3/29/05) Need list of possible "triage" criteria for
        deciding how to prioritize new requirements.  Don read
        a list of possible criteria at the 3/29/05 meeting.  To be
        discussed and resolved at the next meeting.

    015 (placeholder for next)

<END>