Subject: RE: [dita] Fw: Internationalization and Localization in DITA

I have some concerns about scope, France.  The existing guidelines are
many, and still a work in progress.  Some will apply to DITA as source,
others will apply to the transformed outputs.  The role of translation in
the progression from source to output has to be taken into account as well.

I am concerned too that the item-by-item analysis itself will roughly
double an already large workload for what is intended to be a point
release, and the goal of the point release (I think--maybe I'm wrong) is to
move high-priority requirements and urgent fixes into users hands as
quickly as possible.

Moreover, if we are going to provide a comprehensive review of G18N
requirements, we owe the same level of review to Accessibility requirements
as well.

This is not to say that we can't add any highest-priority Globalization and
Accessibility requirements into the 1.1 plan.  We just have to keep the
scope of a 1.1 release in mind as we discuss how to handle Yves'
invitation.

I would be open to the TC commissioning an expert "task force" to review
the guidelines immediately and come back to the TC next week with
prioritized recommendations for the TC as a whole to select from for 1.1
(as we will do for the other list after its public review). This represents
a reality-bounded, good faith effort to respond to Yves' suggestions.

Any volunteers?

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>