Subject: RE: [dita] W3C XML Schema 1.1

Scott, this quotation is a case where I simply did not catch all the older
documentation when Eric provided the new design pattern for Schemas in
dita132. Thanks for pointing it out.  I will update the doc per Eric's
description--he has the latest word at all times on the state of the
Schemas.

When Eric talks about a revamp of DITA for XSD 1.1, he means a change in
the design pattern for specialization, not in the content models, proper.
Your topic instances should validate the same under either Schema version,
regardless of which design pattern for specialization is used.

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

        --T.S. Eliot

             "Tsao, Scott"
             <scott.tsao@boein
             g.com>                                                     To
                                       "Eric Sirois" <esirois@ca.ibm.com>
             04/29/2005 07:46                                           cc
             PM                        <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita] W3C XML Schema 1.1

Eric,

Thanks for the prompt response.  In the DITA Open Toolkit 1.0.1 readme we
found the following statement regarding the DITA XSD implementation:

            This document describes the release notes and usage of the
            experimental DITA XML Schema on developerWorks®.

            This DITA release includes an implementation of the topic
            architecture in XML Schema. The DTDs are still the canonical
            representation of DITA. The design pattern for the DITA Schemas
            is based on the W3C XML Schema 1.0 Specification and may be
            subject to change in the future.

            The specialization process and design pattern for the DITA XML
            Schema are still being developed and refined. As such, the
            specialization process stated below should not interpreted as
            "the definitive process", but simply one method to specialize
            information types and domains

However, what I understand from your response, DITA does not depend on the
inheritance model of XSD today, and may not in the future either. As such,
our implementation of DITA XSD can go ahead without relying on future
evolution of the XSD standardization process.

Nevertheless, if future release of DITA does incorporate future XSD
enhancements on the inheritance model, we will need to do migration if we
want to adopt such future releases.  Could you please give us a sense how
much a migration effort will that be?

Thanks,

Scott