Subject: MEETING MINUTES -- 17 May 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES -- 17 May 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes:
        - 26 April:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00004.html
        - 03 May:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00008.html

    3. Discuss Robert Anderson's review of DITA 1.0 DTDs
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00021.html

    4. Wrapup of the DITA 1.1 Requirements list (public inform):
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00024.html

    5. Discuss how to sort out the top issues and what process to
       use to work them.

    6. More on "OASIS Website" thread?

    7. More on "Marketing/Press relations" thread?

    8. AOB

** Minutes **
-------------
    1. Roll call -
        - We have 15/25 => QUORUM

    2. Review/approve minutes:
        - 26 April:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00004.html
            - Minutes approved by acclamation.

        - 03 May:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00008.html
            - Chris Wong -- Any follow-up on the negative votes?
                - Michael Priestley -- Should we contact those two
                  parties?
                - Don Day -- Action Item to contact those two
                  parties who cast a No-vote
            - Minutes approved by acclamation.

    3. Discuss Robert Anderson's review of DITA 1.0 DTDs
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00021.html
        - Catalogs are incorrect -- need slight updating to point to
          the correct files.  This is the most important issue.
        - Public ID in the map files should be in upper-case
        - Class attribute for title element was declared twice
          (though declared the same way both times)
        - Many issues/inconsistencies in the comments -- not really
          important
        - Mary McGuire (sp?) -- Not unusual for standards to
          discover that there are some issues the day after they're
          issued.  We can put out a fix update -- this is not at all
          unusual.  This is not a "1.1" revision -- just a minor
          correction.
        - Don -- What about schemas?
            - Robert -- Hasn't done any parsing tests here.
        - Scott Tsao -- Question about OpenToolkit README for schema
          implementation.
            - Some discussion and clarification ensued -- couldn't
              capture all of it.
            - Scott -- Will there be a change to the statement in
              the README?  It's important.
            - Don -- It's not a TC issue, but yes, Don will make
              a note of it and clarify the README.
            - Scott -- We need to make it as simple as possible for
              people without having to understand all the underlying
              code.
        - Michael Priestley -- Let's vote on this.
        - Chris Wong -- Let's NOT vote now; let's take some time to
          review the changes to the DTDs.
        - Action for all -- Review Robert's review of the DTDs.
        - Michael Priestley -- Let's make Robert Anderson the
          official maintainer of the DTDs, since he's a TC member
          now.
            - Robert Anderson was appointed the "Official Maintainer
              of the DTDs and Schemas".  Approved by acclamation.

    4. Wrapup of the DITA 1.1 Requirements list (public inform):
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00024.html
        - Don -- Let's not put this out for public comment -- we
          already have enough comments/requirements.  Let's put it
          out as "this is what we are planning to do", not
          soliciting comments but simply informing.
            - Michael -- It's OK to solicit comments.  But we'll
              just vote on them to decide whether to implement the
              suggestions.  If there are some outlandish
              suggestions, we can just reject them.  It's our "due
              diligence requirement" -- there are DITA users who are
              not represented on the TC.
            - Sharon -- Agrees with Michael.
            - Action for Don -- We'll submit this for public review
              through the TC site, and announce on DITA-Users --
              two-week review period (review commenting period to be
              closed EOD 6/6/05).  Don will publish ONLY the
              requirements document -- will NOT publish the "normal
              TC process" document (bug fixes, process questions,
              documentation issues).
                - Bruce -- Some of the requirements doc is not
                  described fully; and the source column is probably
                  something we don't want to publish (where the idea
                  originated).
                - Don -- Agrees.  We also should omit the
                  prioritization column.
                - Michael -- It would still be interesting to know
                  what the public thinks about the priorities.
                - Don -- Let's also ask people to indicate which
                  items are important to them.
                - Seraphim -- Ask instead for people to choose their
                  "top 5" -- helps to focus the prioritization
                  a little better.
                - Don -- Does anyone have time to provide more
                  description for each item?
                - Don -- Maybe everyone could look through the
                  requirements list and post full descriptions to
                  the TC list.  New action item for everyone.

    5. Discuss how to sort out the top issues and what process to
       use to work them.
        - Don -- Public review will indicate people's Top 5.
            - Some items are no-brainers -- Bug Fixes, for example.
            - Book Map issue -- Important to get quality print.  The
              Book Map is important for many people as a reference
              implementation for getting high-quality print.
            - Are there other issues that seem to be obviously
              important?
            - Language proposals have been good -- data element, for
              example.
            - Let's move this discussion to the list, since we're
              out of time.

    6. More on "OASIS Website" thread?
        - Not covered.

    7. More on "Marketing/Press relations" thread?
        - Not covered.

    8. AOB
        - Don -- Let's appoint JoAnn Hackos to be Co-Editor of the
          1.1 Specification (together with Michael).
            - Approved by acclamation.

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------
    - Robert Anderson was appointed the "Official Maintainer of the
      DTDs and Schemas".  Approved by acclamation.

    - JoAnn Hackos was appointed Co-Editor of the 1.1 Specification
      (together with Michael Priestley).  Approved by acclamation.

** Action Required **
---------------------
    022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo,
        as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions.  Still
        pending as of 7/20/04.

    062 Eric Sirois, 10/05/04 -- provide XSLT validation for
        specialized schemas once developed (Indi recommends Jarno to
        work with him) >>> 1/25/05 -- this will be an ongoing
        project; the 1.0 spec does not depend on this.

    079 Don Day, 2/8/05 -- Ask Mary Macrae about several issues --
            - How can the public submit comments on the CD?  Can we
              get a mailing list set up?  etc.
            - What are the constraints for the final format of the
              CD?

    080 All, 2/8/05 -- Remove comments from the CD.

    081 All, 2/8/05 -- Will there be a .chm version of the CD files?

    082 All, 3/8/05 -- Submit comments to Michael Priestley on the
        Architecture Specification.

    085 Michael Priestley, 3/15/05 -- provide the HTML format as
        part of the spec (to be done after the submission).

    086 Who?, 3/15/05 -- Need to submit the committee draft 2 to the
        OASIS administration for approval.

    087 3/29/05 -- Ask JoAnn Hackos if she wants to continue
        in her role as co-Editor with Michael Priestley.

    090 Bruce Esrig, 4/26/05 -- Come up with examples of formal
        completeness issues -- e.g. features spplied to some
        elements but not all.

    091 JoAnn Hackos, 5/3/05 -- CMS interoperability document
        / questionnaire <<< post to TC list.

    092 Don Day, 5/17/05 -- Contact the two parties who cast
        a No-vote against approving the 1.0 DITA specification, to
        find out why they voted that way.

    093 All, 5/17/05 -- Review Robert Anderson's review of the DTDs
        --
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00021.html

    094 All, 5/17/05 -- Due by 5/20 -- Look through the requirements
        list and post full descriptions to the TC list.  Don will
        then roll them into the doc he is posting for public review.
        Don will target 5/23 as his posting date.

    095 Don Day, 5/17/05 -- Due by 5/23 -- Submit the 1.1
        Requirements List for public review with a cover letter and
        solicit comments/additional ideas, and also ask for which
        items are most important (choose top 5).  Review to be
        closed by start of meeting 6/7/05.

    096 (placeholder)

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------
    009 "Best Practices" document -- Let's put this on the agenda
        for future discussion.

    010 Relationship between DITA and other topic-based
        architectures (such as S1000D) -- Need to incorporate this
        into the "Best Practices" document.

    012 All, 2/8/05 -- Decide how to manage incoming comments
        resulting from the Public Review of the Committee Draft.

    013 Need volunteer to find mentions of "post 1.0" deferred items
        -- need to rank by priority and difficulty) solid things for
        1.1; medium effort design work candidates for 1.2; big items
        for 2.0 in minutes (3/8/05).

    014 (3/29/05) Need list of possible "triage" criteria for
        deciding how to prioritize new requirements.  Don read
        a list of possible criteria at the 3/29/05 meeting.  To be
        discussed and resolved at the next meeting.

    015 (4/26/05) Module registry and module standardization
        process.

    016 (placeholder for next)

<END>
Seraphim Larsen                       CIG Operations / TPPE
Senior Technical Writer                   Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ

But in practice, there is.       - Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut

The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.