Subject: RE: new role of expert-guest

Hello everyone,

  I've received several emails regarding my comments on observers yesterday and rather than answer each individually, I think it
best to reply to the list so everyone has a better understanding of the new roles.

    Please refer to the TC Process that went into effect on 4/15 at http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php. The observer
role is exactly that - someone can observe. They can't contribute, either by voice or in writing. The member role is no longer tied
to attendance requirements. Anyone can be a member (as long as they have the okay from their company's primary rep). Members are
full participants and contributors. What members *can't* do is vote. They don't count towards quorum. Therefore if they miss a few
meetings here and there, the only consequence is that the TC misses out on their valuable input. Voting Members are members who
maintain the attendance requirement and can therefore vote. What happens if a Voting Member misses too many meetings? They become a
Member and can still fully participate.

  We changed the rules to accomodate those members who can't always be at TC meetings - who travel, who have client commitments, who
have internal projects that require their attention. We want as much participation as possible, and preventing people who have other
commitments from contributing is of benefit to no one.

  So, if you're currently an observer solely because you have scheduling conflicts, please sign up as a Member!

  If anyone has further questions, please feel free to contact me and I'll try to help in any way I can.

Regards,

Mary

Mary P McRae
OASIS